Berghof loot collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good shots of the tablecloth.

I can't help but notice how badly placed the wall tapestry is.
    Its hanging over the wainscoting....looks terrible.

That tapestry if still around is worth many many thousands of dollars.
    Something I would like to own lol.....

Somehow I don't believe this is taken in the Berghof but Berlin?
    I am probably wrong though.

Comment

It is definitely the Berghof, specifically the Great Hall. You can see the picture window to the left.

But I agree, the tapestry is hung rather clumsily.

I wonder where that is now.

Comment

Your correct it is Berghof, the confusion to me was that the corner
        was converted into dining area but I found another photo which
        confirms it is Berghof on Geoff Walden's site

http://www.thirdreichruins.com/berghof.htm

the tapestry and lamp are the same lolol.......

Comment

Excellent photos taken in the Great Hall of the Berghof! What is pictured is the furniture grouping located at the north-east corner of the room, with the huge picture window at the left. Given that the photos were taken in 1941, the tall-case clock against the north wall is a later addition to the interior; earlier post card photos do not include that clock. The table is the same one that had always been there, though other photos show it without the cloth. While the tapestry does look odd as it hangs below the wainscoting, it too had always been there. The tapestries in the building were historic antiques, so they were hung wherever there was space, even if they were too tall for the wall. The opposite (western) wall also displayed a tapestry which was also too large for the space; it hung behind the foot of the Bechstein grand piano.

What was most interesting to my mind was that the tapestry seen in your photos hid the portals into the Great Hall from where the movie projector was situated, in a small room just behind that corner of the Great Hall. On evenings when Hitler wanted to entertain his guests by showing a film or two -- which was fairly often -- or when Eva Braun wanted to relax with her guests when Hitler was away from the Obersalzberg, this tapestry was taken down to allow the projector to cast the films onto the opposite wall, where the tapestry facing would also be removed. The picture was shown on the bare wall, which doubled as a movie screen. The furniture grouping in your photos was opened up to face the opposing wall, which made for a very comfortable viewing space.

In the photos, seated to Hitler's left, was Hitler's senior adjutant, SS-Gruppenführer Julius Schaub.

Great and historic pix; thanks for sharing them!

Br. James

Comment

Greet,

Super interesting picture, sadly there are too few such interesting pictures.

If I am not mistaken, then the tapestry still exists.
            It hangs out in Berlin in the Bundestag.
            I whot Love to hang it in my livingrome.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
            Fredy

Comment

Me too Freddy, would love to hang that
              tapestry in my home although its very large.

Wonder the provenance on the tapestry?
              Was it an confiscated piece or was it bought
              for monies of its value at the time?

Wish I knew more about all the tapestries
              we see in the Berghof and elsewhere.

Comment

Two rare and very very nice photo!!!!

Kruger

Comment

Both of the large tapestries on display in the Great Hall at the Berghof were 17th century masterpieces from the Goeblins Manufactory in Paris. As Head of State, it would have been possible for Hitler to request individual works of art to be placed on long-term loan for display at his home, and the Berghof was filled with rare artworks of every kind...which I'd bet he didn't pay a single pfennig for.

To see some lovely color pix of these Gobelin tapestries, as well as the seating area in the pix at the beginning of this thread, Google "Gobelin tapestries at the Berghof." Enjoy!

Br. James

Comment

Thankyou Br. James.

To some they are just tapestries but to me they
                    are works of art to be treasured.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

I met a man in az once (whose dad brought home a tapestry from goerings estate there), showed me his tapestry ....and would never give me a price. Your estimation of several thousand dollars would be more like several hundred thousand dollars at least....if not much more....as Goerings example of St. George slaying the dragon...was much smaller in comparison....but hope springs eternal.
                      I noticed the fireplace they chopped up for the ashtrays....and they are still to be had reasonably...I have several (NFS)....try and get one with all the signatures certifications and felts are complete on the back...or deduct the damage from the price. Nice thread also, and informative....but you realize now you have opened pandoras box for competition...hahah A man just down the road has bitts of ceramic tiles from there his dad took when he liberated it....still has em, and still wont sell as his dad is now gone .(I did get to see them at least)maybe some day I should ask him to let me take photos of them just for S&G's.
                      Last edited by juoneen; 06-29-2014, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Right you are, Juoneen -- I bought one of those ashtrays some years ago, too. A very nice memento of what is no longer available to see or touch!

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
                          I met a man in az once (whose dad brought home a tapestry from goerings estate there), showed me his tapestry ....and would never give me a price. Your estimation of several thousand dollars would be more like several hundred thousand dollars at least....if not much more....as Goerings example of St. George slaying the dragon...was much smaller in comparison....but hope springs eternal.
                          I noticed the fireplace they chopped up for the ashtrays....and they are still to be had reasonably...I have several (NFS)....try and get one with all the signatures certifications and felts are complete on the back...or deduct the damage from the price. Nice thread also, and informative....but you realize now you have opened pandoras box for competition...hahah A man just down the road has bitts of ceramic tiles from there his dad took when he liberated it....still has em, and still wont sell as his dad is now gone .(I did get to see them at least)maybe some day I should ask him to let me take photos of them just for S&G's.
                          It would be great to see the tiles.

I have only ever seen a few ACTUAL pieces identified in period photos: an FJ helmet [discussed at great length in the FJ thread]; a piece of a lampshade from Hitler's Berghof study [sold by H Historica some years ago, and painted by Sofie Stork]; a tile from the Berghof's kachelofen; a curved tile from Hitler's study [in the 45th Division museum in Oklahoma city] - and my tablecloth in the photos above.

Comment

In case anyone is interested in ashtray's

http://www.snyderstreasures.com/page...II.htm#ashtray
                            Last edited by Annelie; 06-30-2014, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Annelie View Post
                              In case anyone is interested in ashtray's

http://www.snyderstreasures.com/page...II.htm#ashtray
                              I would avoid that guy like the plague. He is not a guy you want to buy from.

Comment

Originally posted by CPB View Post
                                I would avoid that guy like the plague. He is not a guy you want to buy from.
                                Right you are !!!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X