Berghof loot collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes,thanks for sharing, especially those of us who
    are interested in all things Obersalzberg.

Comment

You're welcome. I also meant to add this picture. The tablecloth I own was placed on the round table to the right of the main picture window.
      Attached Files

Comment

All I can say is WOW!

Even if I had the opportunity to acquire such an item
        I doubt if I would have been able to afford it :-)

Good to hear that someone is enjoying their collection.

I always thought I would have liked to own one of the round coffee
        tables that were used so often there at the Berghof.
        Last edited by Annelie; 04-06-2014, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I was very lucky with the tablecloth. It was being sold as a pick up from the Berghof, but nobody had ever tried to match it to a period photo. I have a lot of books on the subject and, before long, had spotted it.

Comment

Very lucky.

I have only been fortunate twice like that.
            It takes not only luck but knowledge to know
            what you have.

I hear there are still lots of items doors etc.
            in and around the area in local homes. Maybe
            one day we shall know more about all the items.

Comment

Think the globe in the photo survived as well.

Comment

Yes, I believe so Erich.

I found this color shot today too, showing the 'twin' tablecloth used on the fireside table.
                Attached Files

Comment

By the way: for those of you who are interested in more details about the Berghof interieur there are some fine and detailed period articles about that within the german art and interieur decoration magazine "Innendekoration".

I had a look into these in a library here and they are simply great!!

Comment

Thanks Thorsten - are these available over the internet? What publication dates were they specifically?

Great information, thank you.

Comment

Great stuff !

Comment

That tablecloth was an absolutely amazing find! Thanks for sharing it and the period photos.
                        Erich
                        Festina lente!

Comment

Do you have any history on the tablecloth?

Where was it made, locally or Italian? Was it linen, handmade lace
                          etc.

Who kept the bills for such household expenses like the table cloth?
                          How many were bought? Must have been more than several with
                          all the entertaining was done there.

Comment

Thanks Erich.

The tablecloth was a veteran pick up sometime ago, and I bought it about 3 months back. Like I say, nobody had any idea it was visible in period shots, but I did some trawling and spotted it. Quite a moment

The guy was in an engineering battalion and died a few years ago. I have more on him, but I won't publish it here.

It is what I think is called a 'brocade' construction and almost certainly handmade. No maker marks or monogram. It shows several stains here and there and was clearly used. It is heavy and the quality is very very fine.

Like I say, there were two used at the time: one on the table by the fireside, and the other on the round table by the window. I can tell because the patterns appear on different squares to each other.

As they say...if this piece could talk.

Comment

Decorative plate by Sofie Stork, given to Hitler on his birthday in 1932.

The painting is of Haus Wachenfeld, so very early on before the renovation.

The inscription on the back reads:

'In gratitude of many happy hours in your hospitable home.'

Dated April 1932, this is most likely a gift from her to Hitler. This came with another plate, also hand-painted but dated 20.4.34.

Probably displayed in the Berghof, but I am yet to find a photo of this.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Painted by Sofie Storck, that is interesting and really
                                collectible.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X