Hitler's Parents up for Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitler's Parents up for Auction

Has anyone noticed these paintings in Craig G's auction? It's amazing that they survived the Berghof destruction.
    Erich
    Attached Files
    Festina lente!

I don't think my wife will let me put these over the fireplace but very cool that they survived!

Comment

Here's a link to the Fox News interview on these pieces:

http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/ksw...,2611278.story

Comment

Originally posted by Erich Benndorff View Post
        Has anyone noticed these paintings in Craig G's auction? It's amazing that they survived the Berghof destruction.
        Erich
        Replaced frames !

Comment

Yes, the paintings were not brought back with their original frames intact.

Comment

Which size in cm and who was the artist?

Great pieces of history for sure!!!

Rosenthal used identical baroque frame for framing some of Theodor Kärner´s painted tiles.

Comment

Since real experts, for a long time now, cannot authenticate a real or not Leonardo da Vince paiting, how can someone who is not an expert make such allegation? As far as I can see this is just another situation of someone saying it is original because he said so.
              He said the frames were replaced because of damage. If this is true, where are the originals?
              Can you post pictures of the original frame?
              In my opinion it´s another fabricated story, like the Hitler´s desk set.
              I am not a fool!
              Aylson Doyle.

Comment

We should ignore the Arthur Royster Shill, who is already attacking the paintings (a badge of honor, really, for me).

The nice thing about these paintings is that they appear in the Library of Congress, in this book:

http://memory.loc.gov/phpdata/pagetu...m=18496&seq=01

In that book, you can clearly see large black and white period photographs of these paintings. They are a match, brush-stroke-for-brush-stroke. Here are the black and white images, and again, are NOT pictures I took, but period photographs that reside in the Library of Congress:

Thorsten: I am not sure of the artist yet, but am researching that currently. The frames would have been really great to have. The canvasses measure 22x28 inches each, approximately.

Comment

About Arthur Royster's recent posting on his web site about Galland's diamond, this article is written by Wilbur C Stump. A picture in this article (from Williamson's book) is shown/contributed by WC Stump. Lastly, I remember there is a WAF member called W C Stump already passed away.

Comment

Chen: Yes, Royster is posting as the former Bill Stump, but let's not talk about him or his shill here (I was referring to Doyle).

Comment

Craig-

Has the Adolf Hitler Deskset been sold?

John

Comment

Great question: we are currently involved in some "pre-auction" negotiations with an interested party. This MAY delay the auction of the set, which I had intended to auction on September 1-17. I will fill everyone in as things develop. In the mean time, if anybody wishes to make an offer, now is a good time!

Comment

I have a question/comment here:
                          It would have been typical for a GI to either detach the paintings from their stretchers or cut such pictures out of the original frames. This was done for the practical reason which was to allow the GI to roll them up for easier transport.
                          I purchased an original painting of Mussolini from a family in New Jersey that had been rolled up in a tube until about 5 years ago. The story with it was that it had been cut out of it's original frame in a Villa in Italy in 1944. It was subsequently rolled up at some point and put into a storage tube.This storage method had not been kind and I had to have the painting relined and professionally restored along with the usual cleaning.

So I guess my question is do these paintings exhibit similiar treatment?

N.B: I just looked at these on the auction site and can see they were never re-stretched but apparentely just placed in the current frames. I see no evidence(tack holes in a blank border etc.) of their removal from the original stretchers so I suspect they were just cut out. I also see no notation of whom the painter may have been; however the name may be under some of the apparent surface crud. Identifying the artist even if the attribution is "Of the School of" would certainly add to the provenance.
                          If I had these I would find an expert on German portrait painting during the 1st quarter of the 20th Century and get a professional opinion if this has not been already done.
                          Jim
                          Last edited by james m; 07-29-2011, 11:36 PM.

Comment

These paintings are real historical jewels and I hope that they might return to Germany.

GREAT find, Craig!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
                              About Arthur Royster's recent posting on his web site about Galland's diamond, this article is written by Wilbur C Stump. A picture in this article (from Williamson's book) is shown/contributed by WC Stump. Lastly, I remember there is a WAF member called W C Stump already passed away.
                              The article was stolen by "Royster" from Prosper Keating who wrote this article during his active time at M C F and Feldgrau. Keating knows that and stands behind his original (partially wrong) content but not behind the add-ons.

"A. Royster" is Peter Stahl (aka Gregory Douglas aka von Möllendorf aks ...) residing in Aurora, IL.
                              B&D PUBLISHING
                              Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X