griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SA Political Ortsgruppe Level Brown Uniform.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can buy this style of woven rayon piping at any Michaels (art supply/sewing) store in the US. The color, texture, and weave are not the same as period piping.
    Erich
    Festina lente!

Comment

Piping

I've worked in some of the US largest fabric stores and have NEVER seen this type of piping in any of the stores I HAVE seen it on Political leader brownshirts that I saw over 30 years ago. I will not believe the piping is fake until I see an exact example recently purchased. JUST like I described, it is an odd material you don't forget, with it's texture and feel. I KNOW the type of piping you think this is, but it isn't. I'm familiar with that modern type as well, and it DOES come in a light blue. CLIP OFF A TINY BIT, AND WHILE HOLDING IT WITH A TWEEZERS, DO A BURN TEST. TELL US WHAT HAPPENS. IF IT DISAPPEARS IN A PUFF OF SMPKE, IT'S COTTON. IF IT BEADS UP LIKE PLASTIC, IT'S FAKE. tHAT'LL END THE DISCUSSION.

Comment

Apology

I apologize if I sounded like a know-it-all jackass. And certainly no offense to Erich B. who is EXTREMELY knowledgable. I just happen to think I'm right on this one. Let the burn test begin!!

Comment

I bought some at a fabric store --the closest color was not exactly the same as the original Orts blue but it was, if memory serves, the same as the piping on the shirt in question. It was rayon with, I believe, some cotton in the core. It burned to ash the same as period rayon/cotton will do.
          At least in the photos, the weave of the collar piping appears quite different than that of the tab, which is why IMO it's not original. If we had the shirt to examine in person and compare to modern rayon piping, it would be easier to come to a more definitive answer. But don't worry--research, debate, analysis, conclusion--it's part of what makes the hobby interesting.
          Erich
          Festina lente!

Comment

I agree with Erich with regards to the piping. In the 90's, a group of unissued political leader brownshirts was found somewhere in the old East Germany. None of them had collar piping. It is my thought that this is one of them that has been reworked.

Comment

Pl

The piping I've seen like this was about 30 years ago. Whatever that proves.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X