Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, in the field of wooden items it is very easy to separate the authentic ones from any possible copies or fakes - scientific methods can detect that for sure and it is not too expensive as well.

There is an institute located in Bavaria that does a lot of research and offers it´s expert opinion in that field of antiques for museums as well as for any private orederer of their assessments.

Comment

Not too long ago there was a very informative article written about their methods and the development in scientific possibilities to detect fakes in the collecting field of old - and also newer - pieces of furniture in the german art magazin "Weltkunst".

If I am not mistaken there is also an english version of the "Weltkunst" in the international market.

For example sending in the item or a part of it and ordering their written assessment starts already at about 250-350 Euros for one piece - that´s a real good choice in my opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post

For example sending in the item or a part of it and ordering their written assessment starts already at about 250-350 Euros for one piece - that´s a real good choice in my opinion!
        You mean spending that amount to verify a wooden plate is good value, you must be kidding here? We are looking at nazi plates for a few hundreds not fine furniture so are you talking away from of the context of nazi plates?

Having been a scientist myself I'm curious, what is the technique?
        Last edited by Steve T; 01-28-2011, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Steve,

Wooden plates are not the only wooden cultural items of the Third Reich.

Apart from that some wooden plates are combined with a price tag that leaves still room for spending 250 Euros for such an assessment for sure - when buying a wooden plate for the amount of $3850 for example I think an investment like that makes sense.

Comment

Steve,

Wooden plates are not the only wooden cultural items of the Third Reich.

Apart from that some wooden plates are combined with a price tag that leaves still room for spending 250 Euros for such an assessment for sure - when buying a wooden plate for the amount of $3850 for example I think an investment like that makes sense.
            Ok so you were talking in general, not just plates. Yes for sure, on a more expensive piece that is questionable then a few hundred € could be a good investment.

Out of interest, what wooden nazi plates would actually be realistically valued at near 4K? OK ok, I see Germania International http://www.germaniainternational.com/bread.html Check out the one that looks brand new, and cheaper ... I think maybe the decimal point should still be moved three places!

Still curious about a technique that can tell a piece of wood, irrespective of its age, was carved in the 12 year time period of the TR. Really quite amazing if it works!
            Last edited by Steve T; 01-28-2011, 05:57 PM.

Comment

The more the elaborate ornamentation on a plate it makes me run the other way. JMO

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                Ok so you were talking in general, not just plates. Yes for sure, on a more expensive piece that is questionable then a few hundred € could be a good investment.

Out of interest, what wooden nazi plates would actually be realistically valued at near 4K? OK ok, I see Germania International http://www.germaniainternational.com/bread.html Check out the one that looks brand new, and cheaper ... I think maybe the decimal point should still be moved three places!

Still curious about a technique that can tell a piece of wood, irrespective of its age, was carved in the 12 year time period of the TR. Really quite amazing if it works!

chuckle,
                I used to ask him the same question about this site all the time.
                Pretty sure I still have the responces too-they were worth keeping.
                I think we are ALL "curious about a technique that can tell a piece of wood, irrespective of its age, was carved in the 12 year time period of the TR."
                Lets here more about this Holy Grail of Third Reich wooden authenticitification

Comment

Family plate

You mean a Sippenteller like this for example?
                  Attached Files

Comment

IMO wooden plates pushing at the door of $4k is quite simply ridiculous. Part of the fun with these items is they are relatively affordable with their current more realistic prices in 100's not 1000's of $.

Comment

Here is the scientific method - very well described and full with worthful info:

www.spectroscopyforart.com/index-de.htm

And I was wrong: the prices start already at 100 Euros!

Comment

agreed

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                        IMO wooden plates pushing at the door of $4k is quite simply ridiculous. Part of the fun with these items is they are relatively affordable with their current more realistic prices in 100's not 1000's of $.
                        Yes, my collecting of these items is done . I have about seven. It is enough. Luckily I got them before the onslaught of promotion and so feel more comfortable that they are authentic. Especially the one I got 5 years ago from a big time dealer who had no idea what it represented in any way:culturally, ideologically, etc.

Comment

You mean a Sippenteller like this for example?
                          Wonderful plate Thorsten and I would be very surprised if it was tested and found to be made yesterday. I'd personally be quite comfort buying it without scientific analysis.

I've not seen a plate yet to justify a 4K price tag though.

Comment

For that method they need a tiny piece of wood taken directly from the object in question - by drilling a little hole in it and take it off.

I would love to see this being done with all SS MK boxes already shown here and see which examples are really authentic

Comment

Here is the scientific method - very well described and full with worthful info:

www.spectroscopyforart.com/index-de.htm

And I was wrong: the prices start already at 100 Euros!
                              For us Thorsten its close to useless if it just tells the age of the wood. I could go chop down the walnut tree in my garden, leave it to season a year and carve a plate, have may plate tested and told its 120 years old.

Comment

Thank you, Steve!

Nonetheless it gets even better by having a look at it´s backside:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X