• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached Files

Comment

Full view:
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice. I like the homage to the family chain and the backdrop ain't bad either!

Comment

Let´s celebrate!

Guys,

For our all enjoyment and especially for the Geburtstagskind of today, Robin, I made Luki-Luki in my attic and BOOM! - another nice cultural plate surfaced out of the dark into the light:

"German power out of german soil" - unique dedication and an interesting style of german craftmenship.
          Attached Files

Comment

What do you make of this example? It's more of a bowl than a plate. Does anyone recognize the maker mark impressed in the back?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ETN View Post
              What do you make of this example? It's more of a bowl than a plate. Does anyone recognize the maker mark impressed in the back?
              Looks like a nice piece to me.

Is there more to your question perhaps, like whether its for Christian, non-Christian or either?

Comment

Great - another Ahnherr plate and it looks very similar!

I have never seen that maker´s stamp before.

These bread or celebration plates are variable in shape: I have one with the carved dedication "Ehret das Brot" = "Honour the bread" that is even more a bowl than this Ahnherr plate.

I assume the reason for that is the fact that - still today - we in Germany have many different regional sorts of bread and coming along with that also the shape of the loaf ranges from nearly flat to kind of a big ball so to speak.

Otherwise it might also be that the intention with this Ahnherr plate was to put earth in it along with a candle to celebrate the gifted child´s birthday as is stated in the SS family book.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
                  Great - another Ahnherr plate and it looks very similar!

I have never seen that maker´s stamp before.

These bread or celebration plates are variable in shape: I have one with the carved dedication "Ehret das Brot" = "Honour the bread" that is even more a bowl than this Ahnherr plate.

I assume the reason for that is the fact that - still today - we in Germany have many different regional sorts of bread and coming along with that also the shape of the loaf ranges from nearly flat to kind of a big ball so to speak.

Otherwise it might also be that the intention with this Ahnherr plate was to put earth in it along with a candle to celebrate the gifted child´s birthday as is stated in the SS family book.
                  Hi Thorsten,

Thank you for the explanation for the shape, this particular plate is fairly well used. So perhaps it was used for bread then.

Erich

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
                    Looks like a nice piece to me.

Is there more to your question perhaps, like whether its for Christian, non-Christian or either?
                    Hi Steve,

Yes, things like that are what I'm wondering. Also, is this saying from a particular source? Is it still is use in Germany today?

Thanks,
                    Erich

Comment

Erich,

I am not aware of any type of "Ahnherr plate" still in use in Germany today.

But if you pay attention to an earlier comment and a pic shown in this thread made by member Etienne you will recognize another more luxurious type of "Ahnherr plate" with a Triskele motif in the center.

And what I can come up with is the doubtless evidence regarding the fact that the carved dedication "Boden und Blut - Heilig Gut!" on wooden plates was used in the Third Reich - and in my opinion only in that period.

That source is quite interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorsten B. View Post
                        Erich,

I am not aware of any type of "Ahnherr plate" still in use in Germany today.

But if you pay attention to an earlier comment and a pic shown in this thread made by member Etienne you will recognize another more luxurious type of "Ahnherr plate" with a Triskele motif in the center.

And what I can come up with is the doubtless evidence regarding the fact that the carved dedication "Boden und Blut - Heilig Gut!" on wooden plates was used in the Third Reich - and in my opinion only in that period.

That source is quite interesting.
                        Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for your help

Erich

Comment

Originally posted by ETN View Post
                          Hi Steve,

Yes, things like that are what I'm wondering. Also, is this saying from a particular source? Is it still is use in Germany today?

Thanks,
                          Erich
                          You raise some good points, some of which Thorsten has addressed. These types of items are I think relatively unknown compared to say, militaria items like medals awards and so on. This is probably why some of us are interested in such things, something new to learn along with of course the intrinsic beauty of wood and the appreciation of hand crafted work.

The sayings on these plates are interesting and for sure some must be in use today, some that we might think TR are still being made, I've seen a couple myself that are certainly postwar, one of which being the SS Wedding plate script which I saw on a plate made in 1979 and the fruit and bread script which can be bought now. Both were obviously not from the 30's or early 40's and not made to deceive.

Sadly though in my even this area of interest seems to be affected by fakes with overly done SS/NS plates with as many Nazi motifs you can fit on a plate that look like they were made yesterday.

Comment

Here's a little beauty of a TR folk art plate I'd like to share with you.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Fay View Post
                              Uscha,
                              tell me about the "cast" on top of the cabinet. Is that a cast to form julleuchters? Or if not--what is it?
                              And a very nice photo.
                              -Michael
                              hello
                              thorsten,michael&capt.r sorry for waiting!i will ask him in the next days about the questions.
                              regards
                              uscha
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Uscha View Post
                                hello
                                thorsten,michael&capt.r sorry for waiting!i will ask him in the next days about the questions.
                                regards
                                uscha
                                Great looking plate! The second though... thats not period is it?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 19 users online. 0 members and 19 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X