Who said Hitler didn't drink alcohol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terry OToole View Post
    well he drank peppermint tea from a champagne glass during a toast , " Emmy Goring"
    It wouldn't surprise me if he did

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Olav Holden View Post
      I do not remember what it was, but there was one type of food with meat he specially liked.
      I remember having read (but please don't ask me where) that he liked Leberknödelsuppe. (For the non-Germans/-Austrians, it is this dish: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leberkn%C3%B6del)

John Toland also mentions in his Hitler biography that Hitler tried Prague ham and Pilsner beer when visiting the Prague Castle after the Czech annexation. (To the surprise of Keitel, for whom it was the first time that he saw Hitler drink beer.)

Comment

Hitler said his vegetarianism resulted from trauma following his mother's death - being repelled by "cold, dead flesh" - but he was known to be tempted to eat Leberknödelsuppe.

He drank special non-alcoholic beer, and there are accounts of him having a stein in front of him at the early party meetings and beer-hall putsch get-togethers with his stormtroopers and rougher old guard to show he was "one of the boys".

His vegetarianism often resulted in uncontrollable farting, that in turn led to him taking handfuls of anti-gas pills that contained various quack medicines, including narcotics that led to later addictions fuelled by quack doctors like Theo Morell. Regardless, his vegetarian lifestyle was not a healthy one, as his diet was far from balanced, supplemented by large amounts of chocolates and desserts.

Comment

fair do s a selective tyrant

Comment

Originally posted by sjl View Post
            Hitler said his vegetarianism resulted from trauma following his mother's death - being repelled by "cold, dead flesh" - but he was known to be tempted to eat Leberknödelsuppe.

He drank special non-alcoholic beer, and there are accounts of him having a stein in front of him at the early party meetings and beer-hall putsch get-togethers with his stormtroopers and rougher old guard to show he was "one of the boys".

His vegetarianism often resulted in uncontrollable farting, that in turn led to him taking handfuls of anti-gas pills that contained various quack medicines, including narcotics that led to later addictions fuelled by quack doctors like Theo Morell. Regardless, his vegetarian lifestyle was not a healthy one, as his diet was far from balanced, supplemented by large amounts of chocolates and desserts.
            yes dr Morells memoirs mention this

Comment

Originally posted by sjl View Post
              His vegetarianism often resulted in uncontrollable farting, that in turn led to him taking handfuls of anti-gas pills that contained various quack medicines, including narcotics that led to later addictions fuelled by quack doctors like Theo Morell.
              Right. The "Dr.-Köster"-brand anti-gas pills so generously supplied by Dr. Morell and popped by Hitler in excessive quantities even contained strychnine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Olav Holden View Post
                Not even Hitler would drink tea from small schnapps glasses, so i highly doubt that it's tea in that glass. It is most likely a type of schnapps since it's a known fact that Hitler did drink these types of drinks some times. Also in Die Neue Reichskanzlei at later night he could sit with friends and other close people and take a schnapps. He did also drink a small cognac next to coffee some times. These are well known facts and presented by for example Otto Günsche.

He also eat meat several times, it is true that he mostly eat vegetarian food but he did eat meat sometimes to.
                I don't think that Hitler drinking alcohol is a "well known fact", almost everyone who had the chance to observe his habits up close and personal said he abhorred alcohol, and was a near complete abstainer.

Maybe there are a sprinkling of people who say "yes, he had a schnapps from time to time", that has to be balanced against the people who say it was against his principles, and had sworn it off.
                As already pointed out, we have no idea what liquid is in the glasses.
                Of course he could, and did, have the beverage of his choice loaded into toast glasses for appearances sake.

Comment

Stephen, thank you! It was Leberknödelsuppe i couldn't remember.

As for the alcohol, several people close to him said that he did enjoy a small schnapps sometimes but as Stephen said it was mostly non alcohol. Otto Günsche for example said in interview's after the war that he could enjoy a small schnapps. I also think Johannes Rattenhuber states this in a interview.

For some reason i can't quote?

Comment

I do remember now, since I've been reminded of it by our fellow members, that Hitler did enjoy the liver dumplings. I did read it somewhere, though can't remember which book. I've also read various references to him having an alcoholic beverage at odd times.

I like the comment above that if H. had used a bit of grass now and then, it might have done him a world of good. Actually, it probably would have done the world a world of good.

Steve
                    ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Not sure if smoking weed would have been a +, doesn't that stuff make people paranoid ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gesundheit View Post
                        Not sure if smoking weed would have been a +, doesn't that stuff make people paranoid ?
                        Not as much as the amphetamines he took.

Comment

Last night on The Last Days of WWII they were covering the end while AH was in the bunker.

They had a room set up that appeared to be what AH's personal quarters looked like from descriptions of the room with the couch where Eva took poison and he shot himself.

One the table was a bottle of Tokay.

If there depiction is correct that would mean that either AH or Eva or both enjoyed the sweeter wines a sTaky is a Hungarian origin grape.

Hell with the weed, if he would of drunk battery acid the world would have been better off!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Sherlock View Post
                            I do remember now, since I've been reminded of it by our fellow members, that Hitler did enjoy the liver dumplings. I did read it somewhere, though can't remember which book. I've also read various references to him having an alcoholic beverage at odd times.

I like the comment above that if H. had used a bit of grass now and then, it might have done him a world of good. Actually, it probably would have done the world a world of good.

Steve
                            Yes i also read this information in a book. It was the book that was based on the report sent to Josef Stalin after the war, after interviews with Günsche etc

It's that book where we follow Hitler from the 1930's to his last day under the Reichskanzlei, not sure what it's called on english. But her in Norway it's called "The Hitler book"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X