X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also looks o.k from here.
    Nice sharp details!

Comment

I agree that the unnumbered examples share the same traits as the late numbered medals. But as I stated earlier a nice original BO!

Comment

John, the piece I have is a very high quality stamping. The silver foxing is of the highest grade. Personaly I think these latter awards are the extreem rarity, as the recipient would have to be very focused to have gone for the award. Or if it came at the time it would be for any event that was very rare at the time.

Comment

That's an interesting suggestion--since BOs of any type and vintage are scarce, it would be an interesting idea to come up with a statistical breakdown, by type, of surviving examples. Unfortunately, it's probably not possible to get a meaningful result, though, since there really isn't a central location to send requests from or to have the responses sent to.
          Erich
          Festina lente!

Comment

Erick

This is the work we are trying to do on the new forum. The e-book section will carry these results and photos of the pieces.

Comment

Hi Chris, I for one am looking forward to seeing the results of your research.

Comment

Big thanks for the great response!

Comment

Originally posted by WARLORD View Post
                  John, the piece I have is a very high quality stamping. The silver foxing is of the highest grade. Personaly I think these latter awards are the extreem rarity, as the recipient would have to be very focused to have gone for the award. Or if it came at the time it would be for any event that was very rare at the time.
                  Chris,I note from an earlier posting on a different forum you held an opinion more similar to that I currently hold to this day.............
                  No I would not say it was safe to say that. The other interesting point is the medals with the 3950 - 4000 seem to be much inferior to the other medals. A number of point, the numbering is just one. THER IS THE POSSIBILITY OF MULTIPLY USE OF DIES. BUT THIS IS QUESTIONABLE.

Have you changed that opinion now?
                  Jon

Comment

John, in reply I have subsequently been able to get an example of the late numbering. Under close view it is a very high quality stamping. The silver foxing or patination also very good. I put the 4 examples I have under a mic, and I have to conclude that the Sun Rays are alined differently, thus there had to be more than one reverse die. As to rarity, I have always thought, one issued in 1944, has to be a rare accurance. The way to find out more would be to compare a larger selection, side by side. This would alow for the differences to be compared and recorded.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X