X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
    Hi John,

I believe that the original badges which were sent to each new male member of the NSDAP who qualified for the Golden Party Badge were a matched set of Deschler badges. When additional small badges were ordered, either as extras or because the pin plate and the pin itself on the small Deschler GPBs often failed or broke from use, I believe what was sent as a replacement was a Fuess-marked badge. And since female members of the NSDAP who qualified for the GPB only received the small badge, it is possible that what the women received was the Fuess-marked badge.

Br. James

Sorry to object, James, but the early awarded sets were Fuess and large Deschler (and single Fuess for females). Later sets and small replacements as well as female awards were Deschler only, like honorary GPBs.

Comment

Are there any facts known about these guard details?

I’m sure it was a great honor to get the assignment.

Did they stand on guard 24/7/365 regardless of weather?

How long was an individual shift?

Were they allowed to interact with visitors?

This thread is incredible!!

Robert
      Attached Files

Comment

Interesting photo, would appear the bayonet has been ''rounded'' And the decal appears non standard!

Comment

"Sorry to object, James, but the early awarded sets were Fuess and large Deschler (and single Fuess for females). Later sets and small replacements as well as female awards were Deschler only, like honorary GPBs."

Absolutely nothing to be sorry about, Andreas! You provide much-needed details here, as always. My concept of which style of GPB was distributed to the numbered and the honorary recipients had to do with my perceived understanding of the difficulty of ordering and shipping sets of GPBs by the Munich treasurer's office. It seemed to me that if an order had to be placed with two different manufacturers for the same numbered badges, and the finished products were shipped back to the treasurer's office, where they would have to be matched up and then sent on to each Gau treasurer's office for the eventual recipient to pick up, that seemed to me to be a potentially prime occasion for confusion and delay, given that probably hundreds of badges would be arriving in Munich at different times from two different producers. But that is apparently what the process actually was!

Your statement also answers another question for me, and I also thank you for that, as well! I have long wondered about the matter that neither the Deschler or the Fuess-marked small GPB included the "Ges. Gesch." mark, while the large Deschler always included that mark. Your response provides an answer to my wondering, to the extent that the Deschler firm and that of the Fuess-marked GPB both received the award of the order/contract to produce the small GPB at approximately the same time, which made it impossible for either of those firms to register the design of their badge with the national authority. But when it came to the large GPB produced by Deschler, that badge always carried the "Ges. Gesch." mark, and that must mean that Deschler was able to 'corner the market' on the design for that specific badge. Your statement that "the early awarded sets were Fuess and large Deschler" perfectly responds to that question, and I thank you very much for it!

Cheers, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Robert J.D. View Post
            Are there any facts known about these guard details?

I’m sure it was a great honor to get the assignment.

Did they stand on guard 24/7/365 regardless of weather?

How long was an individual shift?

Were they allowed to interact with visitors?

This thread is incredible!!

Robert
            Yes, the Temples were maned 24/7.

Comment

Thanks Erich, 24/7 honor guard, seems very typical and correct for the NS regime.

Dragnet indeed points out that these guards - at least this one - seem to have had rounded bayonets, which I have never noticed before! Rounded bayonets with parade helmets seem like an honorary outfit. Although I think these guards might have the real steel helmets? Parade helmets were definitely used in the TR.

Also, I have recently heard that there were tunnels under these Honor locations in Munich, so the bigwigs could go from location to location easily without crowds or weather. Can anyone enlighten us on this?
              Thanks!

John

Comment

Originally posted by Volksturmer View Post
                Thanks Erich, 24/7 honor guard, seems very typical and correct for the NS regime.

Dragnet indeed points out that these guards - at least this one - seem to have had rounded bayonets, which I have never noticed before! Rounded bayonets with parade helmets seem like an honorary outfit. Although I think these guards might have the real steel helmets? Parade helmets were definitely used in the TR.

Also, I have recently heard that there were tunnels under these Honor locations in Munich, so the bigwigs could go from location to location easily without crowds or weather. Can anyone enlighten us on this?
                Thanks!

John
                Yes there were tunnels to the BH from what I understand.
                The wall around the Temples is still there.

Comment

Those few main buildings around the Temples indeed were connected by tunnels. Indeed opposite the new documentation centre as recent as 2 or 3 years ago I was able to crawl down in to the network underneath, although blocked off in it’s entirety inside it was still exciting. Probably blocked now, it was partially blocked off and ‘Verboten’ ?? I recall, but unfortunately can’t read German so well ..

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
                    Those few main buildings around the Temples indeed were connected by tunnels. Indeed opposite the new documentation centre as recent as 2 or 3 years ago I was able to crawl down in to the network underneath, although blocked off in it’s entirety inside it was still exciting. Probably blocked now, it was partially blocked off and ‘Verboten’ ?? I recall, but unfortunately can’t read German so well ..
                    Verboten? Restricted!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X