• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back

Back
    Attached Files

Comment

Stephen,
      I would urge you NOT to clean this badge. To me, it looks perfectly fine like this. I think (giving due deference to the much more experienced political collectors here)(super detail just not there) that it is a very fine copy and one that would be nice in a display. If you get tired of it, let me know.
      Best,
      Leroy
      Last edited by Leroy; 09-02-2008, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Thank You Leroy

Thank You Leroy For Your Comments. Even Though It Is Not As Fine A Quality As Stan's Medal, I Believe That There Is Enough Detail There To Make It A Very Good Copy From A Long Time Ago. I Will Not Clean It. Keep In Touch. Stephen
        Attached Files

Comment

Gau Wartheland Badge

Stephen,

I would also urge you not to clean it. It is what it is- a nice example of a postwar copy.

Stan

Comment

did anyone even know about this badge 35-45 years ago? If not then why would they even make a copy so long ago?

Comment

I have just emailed Jim Jim with my request, but in case he's not reachable via PM, does anybody else have a copy of this badge that they would be willing to send me so that I might photograph it for my soon-to-be submitted book on Gau Badges? One of my last steps in the book is to document quality reproductions, and I'm still missing this piece. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Gottlieb View Post
                I have just emailed Jim Jim with my request, but in case he's not reachable via PM, does anybody else have a copy of this badge that they would be willing to send me so that I might photograph it for my soon-to-be submitted book on Gau Badges? One of my last steps in the book is to document quality reproductions, and I'm still missing this piece. Thanks!
                Hi Craig,

You'll find an example of a post-war Souval fake on Ulrich of England's website:http://www.ulric-of-england.com/medals_2.html

Stan

Comment

Stan: Unfortunately, I contacted Ulric, who had sold it, and didn't have additional high-resolution photos.

Comment

Von Hoth, "know about this badge 35 - 40 years ago?? " How about 54 years ago. Yes a lot of us knew about this badge way back then. For instance, look on page 9 in the 1957 reference book "Deutsche Auszeichnungen" by Dr. Kurt-Gerhard Klietmann, & there it is "Warthegau-Traditionsabz.", in a nice full-size photo, it's item 13 on the page.
                    As far as it being reproduced long ago, it's right there on page 18, item #11/39, in my old 1972 ( & also in my old 1982 ) sales listings of Rudolf Souval of Vienna. It's price then was 1000 öS, or 142.90 DM.

Comment

Compare the ulric badge with my badge

I have contacted Craig and left him a message regarding pictures of my badge, for his book.

I went to the Ulric site and there is a Souval copy there, which was later sold.

The reverse side of the Ulric badge is nothing like the one I have.

If you look at the reverse side of my badge, it is more like the original.

Mine is a lot more detailed and has rivets not staples like the crude Souval copy.
                      Also you can see clearly from the reverse that my wreath goes all the way around in detail, the Souval one is shaped more like a 1/4 moon shape without the wreath cut out detail.

I bought this badge with some very rare medals 30 years ago. The person I bought them from, became a great personal friend and told me he bought this badge a long time ago in the 50's.

He stopped collecting and put everything away in a safe in 1961.

(His wife demanded this, as he was spending all his hard earned cash on Nazi items and became obsessed with collecting and she threatened to leave him )

It does not realy matter to me where the badge came from.

It is not the quality of the one shown by Stan, which is beautiful, but it is definately not the one shown on the Ulric site. Where it was made or when, is what I hope to find out some day.

I will also add that I have a gold SS 25 year service medal, that for 30 years was suspect, because of its rareity.This weekend at the Pomona collectors show, we found a rare book printed in Germany in 1940. This showed a photograph, not an illistration, of my SS medal and it was identical to mine.

5 seperate dealers at the show examined it with the book in hand and agreed that it was the same one as in this book. I bought this SS medal from the same guy as the Gau badge.Thank you to everyone for your help and time.

Regards Stephen.

Comment

Hey guys, if anyone has a Souval postwar copy of a Gau Wartheland or other Gau badges (except Gau Thuringen) please write me a PM. I would love it to have it in my Souval postwar collection.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X