Black Light Test for Arm Bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Light Test for Arm Bands

I keep hearing about the black light test and to be honest I am completely lost. I recently got a HJ Arm Band and I want to know what the black light does and what is to be looked for.

All information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cheers
    Brian

Fabrics Manufactured Since 1945 Era Have Had Brighteners Added To The Material. The Purpose Of The Black Light Test Is An Inidcator If The Material Is Post Ww2 Era If It Glows Under Blacklight. One Of The Problems With This Is The Fakers Have Gotten Smart With Regards To This Issue And Utilize Older Fabrics Bought At Flea Markets Or Utilize Fabrics Made In Eastern Europe That Do Not Contain These Properties. The Most Important Item For Judgement Is To Understand Original Construction And The Effect 60+ Years Of Aging Impacts The Appearance Of A Cloth Item.

Comment

And please remember that the blacklight "test" is not conclusive, as there ARE original items which will glow under it. There are several threads on this on this Forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
        And please remember that the blacklight "test" is not conclusive, as there ARE original items which will glow under it. There are several threads on this on this Forum.

THIS IS TRUE. HOWEVER, ANYTHING THAT GLOWS SHOULD BE EXAMINED WITH A SKEPTIC APPRAOCH. THOSE WHO DEAL IN FAKES HAVE A TENDENCY TO TRY AND CONVINCE YOU THAT THE BLACK LIGHT TEST IS NOT RELIABLE. AN ORIGINAL ITEM CAN HAVE SOME GLOWING PROPERTY DUE TO POST WW2 LAUNDERING. IN ISOLATED CASES, ORIGINAL PERIOD ITEMS CAN HAVE SOME GLOW. ONE OF THE BEST TESTS IS TO COMPARE AN ITEM AGAINST A MODERN WHITE T-SHIRT.. IF THE ITEM GLOWS LIKE A NEON SIGN SIMILAR TO THE T-SHIRT, YOU CAN BET THE FARM IT IS BOGUS.

Comment

I did the black light test. I placed it on a white t-shirt and along side a small German Navy Pennet from WWI that I own. It diddnt glow like my white t-shirt did and placing it along side the pennet as well seemed to help out! Here are pictures of the arm band. Please tell me what you think.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=236351

Cheers
          Brian
          Last edited by Wiegert; 08-18-2007, 09:04 PM.

Comment

I must, respectfully, disagree with Bob's analysis. Please read everything you can on this Forum (and as many other sources as you can find). The blacklight is a tool, but not infallible, and there are original items where a line of stitching or some other part will glow brightly. I have no horse in this race, as I am not a dealer, but it is the sum total of an item (including generally 60 years of age, which is hard to duplicate) on which you must base your decision. If something glows, it is not necessarily bad JUST BECAUSE of that factor.

Comment

I realize that Leroy. I am not basing my findings just on the black light test. It is however a good tool to use from what I gather in some cases.

Cheers
              Brian

Comment

Black Light Testing

Having purchased many items directly from WWII veteran sources in over 350 motel buys, I can tell you that Armbands, Collar Tabs and Shoulder Boards CAN GLOW AND ARE TOTALLY ORIGINAL. This is especially true with later war produced items and certain German dyes and color glow more than others.
                You must be careful not to lump all rules and collector ideas together and accept everything said without question.
                JMO,
                Ron Weinand
                Weinand Militaria

Comment

I agree completely. When I see something where multiple parts glow, I will generally walk away, and fast. I agree with Bob that postwar laundering can often be to blame, but the items I will look hard at, and not immediately dismiss, are ones where everything else looks right, but one row of thread only(generally on the bobbin side) glows. By example, I have a Kriegsmarine blue sidecap which my Navy officer Uncle brought home in 1945. Everything about it is perfect EXCEPT one line of stitching, on one side, for the lining. The visible side is fine, but if you fold down the side flap you can see the interior side of the stitching, which glows like a Christmas tree. Some stocks of pre-war threads which had been treated with phosphates were certainly used during the war.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread. HJ is not my field at all and so I'm not competent to give you a valid opinion on your armband.

Comment

Gentlemen-
                    I Believe We All Agree On The Position Of Black Light Testing. My Point, If You Reread What I Wrote Is That If It Glows, One Must Look With A Slightly More Sceptical Eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy View Post
                      The problem is...If there is something which glows on an item, it becomes UNSALABLE !
                      An the day where you need to sell it....
                      Straßburger / When in doubt do without...
                      - Looking for : SS TK «Oberbayern» flatwire CT.

Comment

That's because this myth has been readily accepted by people who must have a crutch to lean on, rather than learn on their own and trust their own instincts.
                        The blacklight is only one tool among many. Properly used and understood, it can be valuable. If the science and history of textiles is not understood, it is a waste of time and the foundation of possible error. You can bet that many collectors have very real prizes which would fail, at least in part, the "test".

Comment

I could use some feed back on this arm band all. Please check it out and tell me what you think. http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=236351

Cheers
                          Brian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X