4x Citations Ardennes/Hürtgenwald

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4x Citations Ardennes/Hürtgenwald

Due to some nice fellow collectors (thanks again!) it was a pretty good week for my Western Front collection, I could add a few nice examples to it. Two citations raised questions though (not the documents themselves, but the history behind them).

Citation 1:

Div.Fz.Kp.277, 277. VGD

EK2 for a member of Div.Fz.Kp. (Divisions Fahrzeug (?) Kompanie 277) of 277. VGD. Dated Feb 17th 1945 and signed by Divisionskommandeur Wilhelm Viebig. The Division saw action in the Ardennes and was heavily involved in the fightings at Rocherath and Krinkelt (near Elsenborn Ridge). By the time the document was issued the Division had fallen back behind the German border and defended the area of Hollerath/Hellenthal. The Divisions headquarter was located in the small village of Benenberg.
    Unfortunately the document has another (I guess non-military) stamp to it, but that doesn´t really bother me.

One of my favourite Divisions with a long and interesting Western Front record!

Citation 2:

Fallschirmjäger Regiment 6

Although I prefer EK citations I coulnd´t resist when this IAB citation was offered to me. I had to buy it for two reasons: a) It was awarded to a member of Fallschirmjäger Regiment 6 (famous and much sought after unit, and IAB awardings to Fallschirmjäger are rather rare) b) The soldier earned the award for fighting in the Hürtgenwald/Düren vicinity. Not during the main battles in late 1944, but after the Ardennes Offensive had failed and the Americans pushed towards the Roer river again.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by matthias_AC; 08-24-2018, 06:48 AM.

Citation 3:

Grenadier-Regiment 943, 353. Infanterie-Division

EK2 for a member of Grenadier-Regiment 943, 353. ID. I couldn´t find too much information on that Division, but according to my references there is a good chance the soldiers was awarded the EK2 for fighting in the Hürtgenwald area. Dated Dec 21st 1944, signed "In Vertretung" by an Oberst (if anyone knows the signature, please let me know!)

Citation 4:

Grenadier-Regiment 983, 275. Infanterie-Division

EK2 for a member of Grenadier-Regiment 983, 275. ID. The Division saw heavy action in the Hürtgenwald, but was pulled out of the frontline by the end of 1944/beginning of 1945 to be re-established. I found plenty of information on the Division during October/Novermber 1944, but not much on December. I am 75% sure the Division was still located in the Hürtgenwald by that time, but some references say the Division had already been sent to Northern Germany in December. Maybe someone can help?
    Also, by the time the citation was issued the Kommandeur must have been Hans Schmidt. But the signature doesn´t really look like "Schmidt", and Schmidt was a Generalleutnant, not Generalmajor. I couldn´t find any information on a Generalmajor leading the 275. ID., so again: Does anyone know more?

Best,

Matthias
    Attached Files
    Last edited by matthias_AC; 08-24-2018, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Great documents, Matthias!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R View Post
        Great documents, Matthias!
        Thanks Brian!

Comment

Matthias - The signature on the Strototte citation looks like that of Generalmajor Walter Bruns of 89. ID. Perhaps Gren-Rgt. 983 (or elements of it) was temporarily subordinate to 89. ID at the time. Both divisions appear to have been fighting in the Hürtgenwald area at the time so it would make sense. Can you make out the FP number on the document?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian R View Post
            Matthias - The signature on the Strototte citation looks like that of Generalmajor Walter Bruns of 89. ID. Perhaps Gren-Rgt. 983 (or elements of it) was temporarily subordinate to 89. ID at the time. Both divisions appear to have been fighting in the Hürtgenwald area at the time so it would make sense. Can you make out the FP number on the document?
            Impossible to read the FP number, but a very good hint and definitely a valid explanation!

Comment

Very nice !!!! Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom!

According to the information I found 275. ID got mauled badly in the Hürtgenwald and the remnants were absorbed by the 344. ID which would involve another unit. So it might make sense to focus on that.

I found this map showing the situation in the Aachen - Cologne - Bonn area on Dec 1st 1944 (I don´t really trust Lexikon der Wehrmacht as I found too many mistakes in the past, but I think the maps are useful): http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/.../LXXXI1244.jpg

The map does NOT list 275. ID, but 353., 344. 89. ID and 47. VGD and 116. PZD for the Hürtgenwald area.

I don´t want to draw an easy conclusion, but I could imagine that things had turned into a giant mess in the Hürtgenwald by the beginning of December. The remnants of 275. ID (which was pulled out of the frontline) were allocated to different units fighting nearby, not only 344. ID. (From what I read only the "Divisionsrahmen" which probably means the divisional staff was sent to Northern Germany to form the new Division.)

Just my 5 cents.
                Last edited by matthias_AC; 08-26-2018, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Brian, I think you were spot on with the signature: https://www.sammlermarkt-nord.net/sh...4-p-19445.html

Comment

Indeed, that’s the one. I would agree that things were likely a mess in the Hürtgenwald in December with remnants of units temporarily connected to one another. He likely distinguished himself while subordinate to 89. ID and the division gave him an EK2 as a result - and the distinction could have even been quite a few weeks earlier.

You really have some great documents!

Comment

The signature on the Thiry doc looks like it cold be Keppenberg or something very close to it.

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                        The signature on the Thiry doc looks like it cold be Keppenberg or something very close to it.
                        Yeah, must be Koppenburg/Koppenberg, Keppenburg/Keppenberg, Kappenberg/Kappenburg or something very similar... couldn´t find either unfortunately.

Comment

Hello Matthias !

Very nice set of documents. Congratulations !

Some remarks from my side :
                          1) Citation 1 : is very likely for a member of Divisions-Feldzeug-Kp. 277
                          With Gliederung Inf.Div. 45, all support units were organized into a Versorgungs-Rgt., which included one such Div.-Fz.-Kompanie.

2) The signature on the 3rd doc should be that of Oberst Karl Koppenwallner (RK and DKiG), which might be quite interesting !
                          http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=707357
                          According to the FMS report by Genlt. Mahlmann, he temporarily replaced him on 16.12.44 as Div.Kdr.

3) As I mentioned to you, 275. ID is difficult, but interesting. I'll try to check, when back from holiday.
                          Of course, what Brian R wrote, makes perfect sense.
                          (Divisionsrahmen usually refers to Div.HQ + supply units.)

Best regards,

Archi
                          Last edited by Archi; 08-30-2018, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Archi View Post
                            Hello Matthias !

Very nice set of documents. Congratulations !

Some remarks from my side :
                            1) Citation 1 : is very likely for a member of Divisions-Feldzeug-Kp. 277
                            With Gliederung Inf.Div. 45, all support units were organized into a Versorgungs-Rgt., which included one such Div.-Fz.-Kompanie.

2) The signature on the 3rd doc should be that of Oberst Karl Koppenwallner (RK and DKiG), which might be quite interesting !
                            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=707357
                            According to the FMS report by Genlt. Mahlmann, he temporarily replaced him on 16.12.44 as Div.Kdr.

3) As I mentioned to you, 275. ID is difficult, but interesting. I'll try to check, when back from holiday.
                            Of course, what Brian R wrote, makes perfect sense.
                            (Divisionsrahmen usually refers to Div.HQ + supply units.)

Best regards,

Archi
                            And again a post by Archi packed with useful and interesting information!

I am always amazed how much detailed knowledge you have, I wouldn't have been able to work out the Koppenwallner signature myself in years! Thank you so much!

I'd be very grateful for more information on ID 275! But take your time...

Matthias

Comment

Hello Matthias !

Thanks for the kind words.

I tried to have a look at some literature and can only confirm, what you and Brian R have already mentioned :
                              The situation was really a mess and many units were shifted around and temporarily subordinated to other HQs.

Some facts are supported by several sources :
                              - Div. HQ of 275. ID was withdrawn around 20. Nov.
                              - however, regimental Kampfgruppen of it remained in place and came under control of different HQs
                              - I think, the best summary of the general situation can be found in the map below, which is from :
                              Doug Nash, Victory was beyond their their grasp (excellent book !)

It clearly shows, that end of November 44, KGr. 983 Gren.Rgt. was deployed in the sector of 89. ID.
                              and that supports exactly, what Brian R already suggested.

Best regards,

Archi
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X