No announcement yet.

SS Themed Magazine / Newspaper Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone, for posting these. In post #42, the right image is a great photo of Erwin Meierdress that I've never seen before.

For post #45, the right image, with the mortar team in Italy, has been seen in vrious books. But in this case, I can't make out the photographer's name in the credits beneath the pic. I'm curious to know it, Max Wünsche could you please tell me? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by MarcRikmenspoel View Post
      Thanks everyone, for posting these. In post #42, the right image is a great photo of Erwin Meierdress that I've never seen before.

For post #45, the right image, with the mortar team in Italy, has been seen in vrious books. But in this case, I can't make out the photographer's name in the credits beneath the pic. I'm curious to know it, Max Wünsche could you please tell me? Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately I this group has not arrived at my PO Box just yet, so I won't be able to check the Kriegsberichter's name until next week. I will let you know as soon as I get them...

Comment

SS Mortar team Italy

Hi Marc

The photo is by SS Kriegsberichter Hoppe.

Andy

Comment

Here is a nice cover from the German youth magazine "JÜNGE WELT" from March-April 1944.

Most likely this Waffen-SS soldier is from the 12. SS-Panzer-Division "Hitlerjugend" when they were training in Belgium in late 1943 and early 1944.

It's interesting to see the combination of a stringed net put over the standard issue WSS camouflage helmet cover.
          Attached Files

Comment

That is a nice one Remy...

Like you have said, very strange to see the netting used over the camoflage helmet cover as that is what the foliage loops were for...

Comment

Originally posted by foundy View Post
              Hi Marc

The photo is by SS Kriegsberichter Hoppe.

Andy
              Thanks Andy, that makes sense. My SS Bildberichter file shows that Kurt Hoppe was with the 16. SS-PGD RFSS in early 1944. About that time, he earned the Allgemeine Sturmabzeichen. Then, on April 11, 1944, he was married.

Hermann Grönert was on the Anzio front in the spring of 1944, presumably with the RFSS KG there, though his photos I've seen show Heer Infanterie and Tiger tanks. Hoppe and Grönert are the only SS Bildberichers I've noted as serving in Italy.

Comment

A few new arrivals today with more still on their way...

Great shot of the SS Camo face veil....!
                Attached Files

Comment

Not easy to find these ones...
                  Attached Files

Comment

A nice one of Max Seela that I had not seen before @ left.

And a nice Normandy trench shot!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Max Wünsche View Post
                        A nice one of Max Seela that I had not seen before @ left.

And a nice Normandy trench shot!

That was when the Demyansk pocket was opened, in the late spring of 1942. Seela is on the left, he's hugging a fellow company commander in SS-Pionier Bataillon Totenkopf, Siegfried Müller. Müller went on to win the Honor Roll Clasp, the German Cross in Gold, and the Knight's Cross.

Comment

More really interesting covers. Thanks for posting these.

Over the years I have seen so many original 35mm film contact sheets from the SS-Kriegsberichter collection held at the Bundesarchiv in Kobllenz and also the US National Archives. It's so interesting to see how some of the photos were eventually used for the covers of these popular wartime publications. And also photo essays on the inside pages.

Comment

Many thanks Remy...!

I forgot to post this one.

Walter Krüger awarding the RK to Rudolf Seitz.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Now this is a very interesting cover to see since the majority of these publications were only printed with black ink. Here we have a cover showing us how the publisher used both black and red ink in a very effective way for the mass head, flesh tones, and Knights Cross ribbon. It very simple printing technique which creates a pseudo color cover. This definitely makes the cover stand out and would help separate it from the rest of it's competitors when displayed side by side on the newsstand.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Wünsche View Post
                                Many thanks Remy...!

I forgot to post this one.

Walter Krüger awarding the RK to Rudolf Seitz.
                                The General is Alfred Wünnenberg, btw. Thanks for posting these!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X