Question about documents with punch holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
    I agree it's nothing but personal preference. It's never bothered me as my focus is on the details around the award, not really the condition of the paper itself.
    +1

Comment

Originally posted by Sonderkommando View Post
      Why do they care?
      Probably for the same reason a medal collector doesn't want his Knights Cross to have a hole drilled in it...
      That's sort of not a good example...I'd say more like "used" (KC paint loss, maybe a ding or 2) versus "mint" (no wear at all). I've never seen a KC with holes in it....but I'll grant the possibility they may exist.

I don't really mind holes in a doc, there's other considerations I put first.

best
      Hank
      Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
      ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Holes? Folds?

I don't mind the couple of binder punch-holes in an award document
        and the same goes for the fold .. one or two.

What I won't accept is the 'brutalization' or 'defacing' of an award
        document for the sake of removing the National Emblem from it
        because it's not politically correct to have it still showing!

Somehow a 25' x 10' wall covered with nicely framed award
        documents is more appealing to me than an 8' table top covered
        in medals and badges.

Ron.

Comment

Folds, holes and even denazifications are part of the history of a document. I don't mind about them if the paper is original and is what I'm looking for; this is may be an advantage for me because for many other collectors these are big problems.

A rare document may be discarded and its general value in the market drop for this reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
            It's never bothered me as my focus is on the details around the award, not really the condition of the paper itself.
            I fully agree with my esteemed friend Simon on this - for me as a rather keen collector of Kriegsmarine Narvik 1940 documents I don't care if a document has 0 or 9 holes in it; for me the history comes first.

On the other hand - any of you having Kriegsmarine Narvik 1940 related documents which seems to be an embarassement in your collection because it has a hole or 3 can easily ship them to me; I might pay more than you can imagine (holes or not)

Mvh. AH

Comment

Hi folks,

as allready said, it's just the way, most of the germans stored importend paper work in a folder (ordner). For me as paper collector, I don't care with the exception of DKiG/S A3 docs. There I agree with Thomas H to pass on those.
              The other way people store those award docs after the war is to frame then. For me a no go, because the documents were cut and glued or lost the ink signature and stamp on it. I woukld never buy those.

regards

Walle

Comment

Originally posted by tgn View Post
                The Germans love 2-8ring Leitz binders. Those punch holes never bothered me in documents. Don't like them in photos though. Just personal preference.
                Indeed. When i was in elementary school 4th grade, we were told to buy those Leitz binders and if we didn't sort our papers by category in it with perfect punch holes in them we got problems with the teacher.

Deutsche Ordnung taught at an early age. I wouldn't mind those punch holes either, if anything, it shows me the person was tidy and took great care of order.

Comment

As a document collector, the holes generally bother me and detract from the value. A German veteran friend once told me, when asked why some docs had holes, that sometimes a document couldn't be given to the awardee so it was put in company storage binders to be sent to the person when time permitted. My personal preference for documents is when I know they were carried inside the SB and were with the soldier during combat. I view "holed" documents just like a mint cap that sat on a store shelf it's wartime life, it's a military "poser" wearing the uniform, but who saw no glory. Others I'm sure will disagree, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

These things were stored this way at all levels, it is the German filing system, now as it was then. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that blank documents were stored this way (in binders) by some units in blank form, before being filled out. I don't think you can determine if a document was carried in a Soldbuch based on whether or not it was ever stored in a binder as papers were organized this way by individuals and by official organizations before, during and after the war.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Today.

Working...
                    X