Question about documents with punch holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about documents with punch holes

Do documents with punch holes that were stored in a binder automatically devalue the documents or is valuation more or less relative to the document in question or who it was issued to? Do documents with punch holes do devalue by how much? Does punch holes kill the demand for the document? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Some people seem to think they do..

Why were so many stored in binders? I would figure it had been done in an official capacity but what do I know?

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was curious to know about dkig and ek documents as well as if someone stored them in a three ring binder post war.

Comment

The German government or some other entity maybe?

Comment

Either way

Comment

The Germans love 2-8ring Leitz binders. Those punch holes never bothered me in documents. Don't like them in photos though. Just personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by tgn View Post
              The Germans love 2-8ring Leitz binders. Those punch holes never bothered me in documents. Don't like them in photos though. Just personal preference.
              Agree on all accounts

Comment

Thanks for ths insight.

Comment

I agree it's nothing but personal preference. It's never bothered me as my focus is on the details around the award, not really the condition of the paper itself.

I think that is the same for most paper collectors. For those who are concerned with condition, it seems to be collectors from other areas, medals for example who are simply looking for a good condition document to go along with a medal. The actual details of the award are almost irrelevant to them.
                  Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Ordner

If you visit in a German home you will likely find that important papers are kept in "Ordner" that require two holes punched in papers. It is simply the way things are traditionally done there.

Comment

I think punched holes in documents, do without a doubt reduce the value, paper collectors I know, are reluctant to take them. How much it effects the value, I guess, perhaps -10% - 20%

Comment

The question is why do they care?

Comment

Why do they care?
                          Probably for the same reason a medal collector doesn't want his Knights Cross to have a hole drilled in it...

Comment

Personaly i look for documents without punch holes but in some cases its realy hard to find one without them

Comment

It depends. If it is a normal A5 size Urkunde like the EKI or II, I don't mind if it has two punch holes on the left side. If it is a bigger Urkunde like the DKiG, these sometimes have 4 to 8 holes when folded.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...630236&page=21

Post # 106, 6 holes
                              Post # 305, 4 holes, but in the worst possible location.

If I just look for "a" DKiG Urkunde I would pass on these, but if the name is important to me I will (have to) life with it. Same with being folded a lot or having stains. In the end the name and the history are more important to me.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X