Any Tannenberg experts in the house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
    As the monument was totally demolished by German troops 1945 the stained glass actually could not be located any more there.

http://gcache.imagehost123.com/gf/98/3.jpg

Gerdan
    Funny, I seemed to have lost concentration somewhere here

Comment

Goodness me.

That link certainly is connected to the mamorial site!

Comment

Sorry to say but that is not a link to the Tannenberg memorial but rather to the Twin Towers.
        Richard V

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
          You've got THAT right, Steve!!

Br. James

Something tells me they didn't cover this in seminary Br. James!
          Richard V

Comment

Tannenberg's stained glasses

There is a german book : Kuratorium für das Reichsehrenmal Tannenberg;
            Tannenberg, Deutsches Schicksal - Deutsche Aufgabe; Berlin 1939. There you
            find a lot of pictures about the Tannenberg memorial. The Flickr-photo ,
            that cesky67 contributed shows one of the two side-rooms to the
            Hindenburg crypt. Hier ruhen 10 deutsche Soldaten, that is the writing on
            the wall above the stone dead soldier on the stone coffin. 20 unknown
            german soldiers were buried there, 10 on each side of the tower. Behind the stained glass was a small garden outside. This was the Hindenburg Tower.
            I am also looking for the stained glass in the Sacred Tower. I only found
            out, that it was designed by Hans Uhl from Berlin. I doubt that it looked
            like that there :
            http://das-tannenberg-nationaldenkma...nkmal---turm-7

Comment

Thank you for your insight Dolchstoss.

I recently bought a booklet Reichsehrenmal Tannenberg by Otto Eisner which contains drawings by Georg Fritz and one of them is with the stain glass windows.

Is the monument i stated in post nr. 14 maybe included in the book Kuratorium für das Reichsehrenmal Tannenberg?

Comment

no, this monument is not in my book. but they write a lot about the funeral festivities for Hindenburg. for instance on page 223 : "Hundertundein Schuß dröhnten über das Denkmal hin. Das Lied vom guten Kameraden erklang. Es galt jetzt nicht nur den toten Kämpfern des Weltkrieges; es galt auch ihrem Heerführer, der ihnen in die Ewigkeit nachgefolgt war."
                your book ist also interesting because of the cover showing that stained glass in the Hindenburg Tower. Your special interest seems to be that song and not only in the Tannenberg context. i'll keep my eyes open for it.

Comment

sorry , a mistake. the drawing is not the cover. i have no scanner. my mentioned book has almost 200 pages about the battle of 1914 and about german guard in the east through the centuries. then on page 197 follows the story of the Reichsehrenmal until the funeral, then on page 223 Architectural Thoughts about the Reichsehrenmal Tannenberg and how it fits to the landscape by the Professors Walter and Johannes Krüger and Heinrich Wiepking-Jürgensmann.
                  and after page 247 follow 16 pages with 27 photos belonging to the text before.

Comment

and your picture with the Ostpreussischer Sängerbund i found only on a Polish
                    side , there also from a different viewpoint :
                    http://www.rowery.olsztyn.pl/wiki/playground/sudwa

Comment

Originally posted by dolchstoss View Post
                      no, this monument is not in my book. but they write a lot about the funeral festivities for Hindenburg. for instance on page 223 : "Hundertundein Schuß dröhnten über das Denkmal hin. Das Lied vom guten Kameraden erklang. Es galt jetzt nicht nur den toten Kämpfern des Weltkrieges; es galt auch ihrem Heerführer, der ihnen in die Ewigkeit nachgefolgt war."
                      your book ist also interesting because of the cover showing that stained glass in the Hindenburg Tower. Your special interest seems to be that song and not only in the Tannenberg context. i'll keep my eyes open for it.
                      I am a collector of everything related to the poem: "Der gute Kamerad" and the derived song:"Ich hatt' einen Kameraden", from postcards, books and pins to one of a kind items that hold the text or a quote from the poem.

Originally posted by dolchstoss View Post
                      and your picture with the Ostpreussischer Sängerbund i found only on a Polish
                      side , there also from a different viewpoint :
                      http://www.rowery.olsztyn.pl/wiki/playground/sudwa
                      Thank you very much for that link.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X