Any Tannenberg experts in the house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Tannenberg experts in the house?

I recently acquired this amazing postcard but i am wondering if this stained glass actually was located inside one of the towers of the Tannenberg complex.

The card was being described as a such but i can't find any evidence it was, any help is much appreciated.

As the monument was totally demolished by German troops 1945 the stained glass actually could not be located any more there.

http://gcache.imagehost123.com/gf/98/3.jpg

Gerdan

Comment

Maybe i should have been more clear but like i stated:"..but i can't find any evidence it was..", i searched and read many articles about the Tannenberg but no pictorial evidence about this particular(stunning) work of art.

I assume it's the window being noted in the description of tower 7.(sacred tower), two types of descriptions:
      "Das Erdgeschoss bildet eine Halle aus Klinkern mit einem tonnenartigen Gewölbe. Der einzige Schmuck der Halle ist ein 2 mal 3 Meter hohes Fensterbild von Professor Uhl aus Berlin. Die oberen Räume dienen als Archiv."

"(Weiheturm) war dem Gedenken der Opfer des (1.) Weltkrieges geweiht. Einziger Schmuck dieses Raumes war das farbenschöne Fensterbild (Uhl, Berlin). Die oberen Geschosse dieses Turmes nutzte man als Archivräume.
      Die Mauernischen zwischen Turm 7 und 8 wiesen die Ehrentafeln des XX. Armeekorps, der 35. Division, der 70. gem. Landwehr-Brigade und der Hauptreserve Graudenz auf."

I really hope the stained glass was removed and put away before the complex was blown up!

Comment

Hi,

It was part of the monument have a look at the photo below which was part of a souvenier set of cards of the place.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101685659@N03/10488558725/

Comment

Cesky67, thank you very much, this is exactly what i was hoping for to see.

Now is the question who designed it, who made it, when was it installed, was it removed before the place got destroyed, do these stained glass windows still exist, if so, where are they now?

Does anybody have an idea where i find answers to these questions or to which institution i should address these questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
            As the monument was totally demolished by German troops 1945 the stained glass actually could not be located any more there.

Gerdan
            That's an AWESOME picture of the memorial.
            Steve
            ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Here is a link and discussions as to the history of Tannenberg. The memorial was not entirely destroyed by the Wehrmacht in 1945. Those who were buried there (Hindenbergs) were moved to Germany prior to the destruction. Much of the remains were used in buildings and homes throughout the area.

http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/1877...berg-memorial/

Comment

You've got THAT right, Steve!!

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
                    Here is a link and discussions as to the history of Tannenberg. The memorial was not entirely destroyed by the Wehrmacht in 1945. Those who were buried there (Hindenbergs) were moved to Germany prior to the destruction. Much of the remains were used in buildings and homes throughout the area.

http://ww2talk.com/forums/topic/1877...berg-memorial/
                    Thank you but i am not interested in the Tannenberg as such but only in the stained glass windows that were incorporated in the Tannenberg complex.

Comment

Did you check the link out?....dicussions indicate that everything was dismantled and used to rebuild other buildings, homes etc. so anything could have happened to the stained glass but most likely blasted to bits!!

Originally posted by IchHattEinenKameraden View Post
                      Thank you but i am not interested in the Tannenberg as such but only in the stained glass windows that were incorporated in the Tannenberg complex.

Comment

Originally posted by IchHattEinenKameraden View Post
                        To IchHattEinenKameraden: You need to check out this link I copied from Gerdan's link above, and which I have posted below. Seriously, if you are interested in the beauty of the stained glass of the memorial, you will appreciate this beauty which should be in stained glass. Trust me on this, as I've been a trustworthy WAF member for over 10 years.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Sherlock; 10-27-2013, 06:45 PM. Reason: stylistic error
                        ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

If you do not care for the subject or are not beable to help, maybe just do not post a reply?

Apart from the fact the subject is related to showing respect for the fallen soldiers, i take my hobby quite serious which to some seems strange apparently.

Comment

According to this website there was an actual monument in the Tannenberg complex that adorned the text:"Ich hatt' einen Kameraden".

Is there someone who can tell me where it was located in the complex, who designed it, who made it and if there are more photos of this monument known.

Comment

# 14

Dedicated by the "Sängerbund Ostpreußen" to their members KIA - Choir Association East Prussia

Gerdan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X