WöschlerOrden

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original Free Arabic Legion photographs from German Heer photo lot I got today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

markings

Photo #1 clearly states "Gefr. u(nd) R(serve) O(ffizier) A(nwaerter) - reserve officer aspirant- in the writing. If there are any Russians they are not clearly obvious.

Comment

pauke & ....,

The first couple pictures looked Russian at first glance....but looking again....all are French (& poss. Belg.) POWs, I fully agree....

Does look surprisingly cordial....
      John G.

Comment

Many thanks for the info an input,

Looks very relaxed, hence why I immediately dissmissed POW's.

I'll have to translate what is said on the backs of all the photos in the lot as that may shed some light on things.

Regards,

Joe

Comment

I can certainly imagine either your soldier or someone in the background gesturing "SMILE!"
          ------------------------------------------------
          Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

trans

The first photo has summer 1940 POW camp Goerlitz on the Polish border due-east of Dresden. Another photo has the same info with a POW's name. There exist plenty of photos and film footage of African troops smiling as well as dancing for the camera after being captured. The difficult moment has passed and the POWs are in decent health with the unkown before them. I wouldn't expect pictures of smiling Russian POWs but from the French campaign this isn't out of the ordinary.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X