Billy Kramer

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original Free Arabic Legion photographs from German Heer photo lot I got today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Free Arabic Legion photographs from German Heer photo lot I got today.

Hi All,

Today I bought about 80 photos to the same man in the Wehrmacht from the Mid-1930's onwards. He was a WW1 vet too.

There are some very nice pictures indeed, and he has methodically marked the rears of a lot with times dates etc. All belonging to this man.

There's a few portrait photos of him and loads of nice pictures including parades through towns, training, relaxing etc but then I got to these pics. These are fresh out the woodwork.

Hope you enjoy!

Regards,

Joe

First pic is the soldier who features throughoput most of the pics, and ones he doesn't he's wrote on the back.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

So far I see POW Camp/Russian POWs/and Black (+other) French POWs....no Arab Legion yet....but maybe you're still posting.
                    John G.

Nice Prewar "Gefreiter" photo, but has "Officer Candidate" loops on his shoulder straps....

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemilitaria View Post
                            So far I see POW Camp/Russian POWs/and Black (+other) French POWs....no Arab Legion yet....but maybe you're still posting.
                            John G.

Nice Prewar "Gefreiter" photo, but has "Officer Candidate" loops on his shoulder straps....
                            I didn't even think of French POW's, I just thought who would be black with the Germans and jumped to te wrong conclusions. I didn't consider POW's, it all seemed to cheery for POW's.

Sorry all for coming to the wrong conclusion.
                            Attached Files

Comment

No problem, fairly easy mistake....conditions do look awfully "warm and friendly", probably one of the "model POW Camps" where conditions were pretty good until "midwar" (of course, not so much for the Russian POWs- thier conditions don't really show that much in the photos...(recently captured-maybe).

There certianly were many instances of Germans mistreating or executing Black French POWs in 1940....but thousands were actually captured and processed as POWs and most had at least a "reasonable" chance of survival- and did.....same with Black American POWs...with some notible exceptions...most Black US POWs were processed and treated the same as "white" US POWs.
                              The only differance is the Germans didn't release Black POWs for farm work as they did thousands of "white" POWs....which did mean more depridations and food shortages I'd assume.
                              Nice album.... noticed the officer also has a WW 1 Wound badge....
                              John G.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X