Where do you store your photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

inside
    the black leather folder is originally from the soldier's family.
    Attached Files

Comment

air resistant case for badges and crosses.
      Attached Files

Comment

Photo Storage

The first thing I do with new photo/postcard acquisitions is put them in archival
        quality products called Clearbags, flat clear envelopes available in several sizes.

Then they go into smaller size but thick albums that have two clear sleeves per page and an archival material divider. The album booklets hold the
        photos in a firm but not heavy suspension. With many of the odd lot items
        starting to curl, this gives paper and shapes a chance to flatten without undue pressure.

I agree and follow what several others in this thread mention: I make good
        quality copies on good paper for display and keep the real items in archival
        storage. Cool, dry and clean. With both matts, frames and materials scrounged from art and scrap stores, it allows for creativity within the constraints of recycling and found materials.

Particularly with photos, I work with "found" lots, individual and group items
        that have been removed from original albums for selling, esentially "orphaned"
        items, items that come unexpectedly tucked inside books, etc. I basically have an orphanage for lost and scattered photos/graphics.

The only large paper item I display is an old WWII era German map, once folded to fit the pocket of a "waffenrock". I felt it was important to get this
        item onto a flat display surface, as folding and unfolding would eventually wreck the original, and I used acid-free archive grade paper for the backing.
        The print side is flush with the frame glass. I display the item on a dark wall
        with no direct sunlight. At this point I don't know if the glass pressure is good or bad, (though I do not believe it is severe) or what could be done other than relief matting to ease it. From working with paper in a controlled artistic printmaking studio environment, I have found that temperature and light is almost everything, more so for archival-grade specimens. Cool, dry, away from heat or moisture. I know there are some conservatory situations where they have to have certain humidity levels too. Would love to learn more about this.

As always, open to your input, folks.

Comment

I mount photos and other paper items to archival acid free matte paper by using archival clear "photo corners". Then frame (photo corners keep the photos spaced from the glass) in a normal frame. It then gets hung in a room that always has the blinds drawn.

for photos cand items I'm not displaying: I put these items in archival sleeves sandwhiched between two pieces of corrugated cardboard. Then in a fireproof safe.

Fairly economical methods that work for me. Yes, the safe is the most foolproof, but I want to enjoy my items.

Comment

Thank you all for the advices and input!

This is where I currently "store" my photos. Don't laugh , I was using a regular album, but I learned that it can be dangerous for the photo paper.

Regards,
            Sepp.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Here in the UK we have a chain of stationers called WH Smith who have shops in all airports, rail stations, and branches in all towns and cities.
              Their own brand of albums, poly pockets; etc are all acid free.
              They also stock a selection of acid free pages for all their albums, for postcards; (8 on a double sided page) cigarette cards, trading cards (great for WHW mini books) postage stamps, first day covers; (good for DAF sized members books etc) and a varied selection of other clear pages in various formats.
              The majority of albums/page inserts are in A4, apart from postage stamp albums. and are reasonably priced; offers on future purchases are given by vouchers for £5 off if you buy £12 of product within fourteen days etc.
              Good value for UK paperwork collectors!

Very best wishes,

John

Comment

Originally posted by feldpost 58 View Post
                Hi,

Here in the UK we have a chain of stationers called WH Smith who have shops in all airports, rail stations, and branches in all towns and cities.
                Their own brand of albums, poly pockets; etc are all acid free.
                They also stock a selection of acid free pages for all their albums, for postcards; (8 on a double sided page) cigarette cards, trading cards (great for WHW mini books) postage stamps, first day covers; (good for DAF sized members books etc) and a varied selection of other clear pages in various formats.
                The majority of albums/page inserts are in A4, apart from postage stamp albums. and are reasonably priced; offers on future purchases are given by vouchers for £5 off if you buy £12 of product within fourteen days etc.
                Good value for UK paperwork collectors!

Very best wishes,

John
                Hi John, sorry for the delayed reply. I think those albums sound great, but I don't have paypal at the moment. I'm gonna try and see if there's anything like it in Buenos Aires.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Regards,
                Sepp.

Comment

Hi Sepp,

Glad to be of assistance, I have thirty eight of these albums (and counting...) at the moment full of WW1 and WW2 German and British paperwork, ID's, photographs etc.
                  I find them excellent for paper items, and they look very smart too!

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X