Where do you store your photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you store your photos?

Hi guys! I have my photos on regular albums (you can buy on any photo shop). How about you?

What would you recommend best?

Regards,
    Sepp.

I have one album for award docs, ant another one for the original period pictures and postcards. Till I can't buy UV protected glass,I don't want to keep in cabinet.

Comment

rightly or wrongly in my safe, my wife disagrees with my "wierd hobby"

Comment

I keep most of my paper and photographic stuff in acid free, archival sheets depending on their size. You can find these online at museum supply stores, paper shows and even some sports card shops carry sleeves that work, just make sure they archival.

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies! Most appreciated and useful

It's a bad idea to store them on regular (cheap) photo albums?

Comment

Originally posted by Sepp45 View Post
            Thanks guys for the replies! Most appreciated and useful

It's a bad idea to store them on regular (cheap) photo albums?
            Yes. These generally have chemicals like plasticizers or acds that can ruin your collectible items.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pittman View Post
              Yes. These generally have chemicals like plasticizers or acds that can ruin your collectible items.
              Woow, not good I better put them somewhere else till I get a "free-acid" container.

Thanks Chris!
              Last edited by Sepp45; 04-24-2013, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PanzerJager1944 View Post
                I keep most of my paper and photographic stuff in acid free, archival sheets depending on their size. You can find these online at museum supply stores, paper shows and even some sports card shops carry sleeves that work, just make sure they archival.
                Like Seth i keep all of my original photo's and documents in acid free,archival sheets.

I get my albums and sheets from this company.

http://www.safepub.com/

For display purposes,i make copies of the originals on good quality "photo" paper but i keep the originals in the archival files away from UV exposure.

Regards,Martin.
                Last edited by Martin W; 04-24-2013, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin W View Post
                  Like Seth i keep all of my original photo's and documents in acid free,archival sheets.

I get my albums and sheets from this company.

http://www.safepub.com/

For display purposes,i make copies of the originals on good quality "photo" paper but i keep the originals in the archival files away from UV exposure.

Regards,Martin.
                  I collect autographed photos, and I've been using Top Loaders with acid free sleeves. Sort of bulky, but they don't get bent.

Phil - I feel your pain, man. My stuff gets relegated to the top shelf in the office closet.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by TorpedoLos View Post
                    I collect autographed photos, and I've been using Top Loaders with acid free sleeves. Sort of bulky, but they don't get bent.
                    Does this happen often?

Comment

Does this happen often?
                      Don't know because I use Top Loaders.

Comment

Don't know because I use Top Loaders.
                        Hi, I wasn't being sarcastic I just wanted to know if that happened often or not.

Regards,
                        Sepp.

Comment

Hi, I wasn't being sarcastic I just wanted to know if that happened often or not.

Regards,
                          Sepp.
                          Ooops. Then sorry, Sepp. Totally my bad.

Actually, it did a little - which is why I changed. I first put all my photos in 8x10 pouch-like album sheets that fit in binders. You probably know what I'm talking about; I don't know what they're called. But because the photos are different sizes, once I started accumulating a lot of photos, some of the larger photos would get a little bent when the albums were closed and laid down on their back cover. Not drastic but when we spend what we all do on these items, any damage like that is a big time pisser. Plus, I actually collect signatures, so I got concerns about the effect of the weight of the other photos on the ink; I didn't want anything smearing, rubbing off, etc. Also, because the photos are mostly 3x5 or 4x6, they were just sort of loose in the 8x10 pouches, and I wasn't thrilled about letting them move around that much.

I probably could have found a way to store the albums standing up so there wasn't weight on them. (Maybe not though - let's just say my longtime girlfriend isn't a big fan of my little hobby, so I basically have to store my collection on a shelf in the closet.) But I just like the harder, rigid format of these holders. I feel like the photos don't really move around in them, and because Top Loaders have harder thick edges, the center of the photo doesn't absorb weight, so the signature is protected.

Another positive is that some of the older photos which are starting to round because of age end up getting straightened out a little. It'll never be perfect again, but it's something, you know.

This is a good topic. Though I've collected for years, I've never compared notes with other collectors. I just joined WAF recently because I figured it was time. The archival paper suggestion is a good one that I am going to check out.

Comment

Ooops. Then sorry, Sepp. Totally my bad.

Actually, it did a little - which is why I changed. I first put all my photos in 8x10 pouch-like album sheets that fit in binders. You probably know what I'm talking about; I don't know what they're called. But because the photos are different sizes, once I started accumulating a lot of photos, some of the larger photos would get a little bent when the albums were closed and laid down on their back cover. Not drastic but when we spend what we all do on these items, any damage like that is a big time pisser. Plus, I actually collect signatures, so I got concerns about the effect of the weight of the other photos on the ink; I didn't want anything smearing, rubbing off, etc. Also, because the photos are mostly 3x5 or 4x6, they were just sort of loose in the 8x10 pouches, and I wasn't thrilled about letting them move around that much.

I probably could have found a way to store the albums standing up so there wasn't weight on them. (Maybe not though - let's just say my longtime girlfriend isn't a big fan of my little hobby, so I basically have to store my collection on a shelf in the closet.) But I just like the harder, rigid format of these holders. I feel like the photos don't really move around in them, and because Top Loaders have harder thick edges, the center of the photo doesn't absorb weight, so the signature is protected.

Another positive is that some of the older photos which are starting to round because of age end up getting straightened out a little. It'll never be perfect again, but it's something, you know.

This is a good topic. Though I've collected for years, I've never compared notes with other collectors. I just joined WAF recently because I figured it was time. The archival paper suggestion is a good one that I am going to check out.
                            No problem, thanks a lot for the information

I hope to see some of your photos on the forum!

Regards,
                            Sepp.

Comment

how i store my document...
                              i ordered a very nice sick Chinese art case.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X