X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm voting reenactor as well.

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
      Possibly an aged reprint done post war at best. Most all wartime photos have watermarked paper and was not smoothe on the edges.

Not necessary the case. Can't be sure about originality, but blank photo-paper was certainly used during the war. Also, the straight edges were common during WWII. Finally, this this photo could have been made in Latvia... who knows what type of photo-paper those guys had available, especially late in 1944. It is very hard to proof that this is a period photo without personal examination. It is equally hard to proof that it is a post-war reprint!
      I think it has a good chance!

Comment

Originally posted by totenschmiss View Post
        i'm voting reenactor as well.
        +1

Comment

Can´t see anything wrong! Looks like an usual photo which has been taken during training. Latvian of course.

Comment

I am 100% sure this is an original Picture - I have been a in WW2 Reenactment Group for many years and seen 10000s of reenactment pictures - This does not strike me in anyway as a modern fake.

The white mentioned before is a normal film reaction to bright light or reflection for some film cameras of the period. I know as I have one and this happens.

I have noticed also that some state about a maker mark for the paper - to be honest this is mainly seen with German and western papers and some other countries, but its not rare for eastern units pictures.

The quality of images from the Eastern Units are always not as good as the German ones - I have noticed this regularly.

Probably down to cheaper cameras and equipment used and even the methods for printing on the paper and chemicals used. This would all affect the finished image. ( In this case I would say it was the lack of adjustment on the lamp when burning the image + a dinky camera)

Also mentioned is the edges - Again its common that edges where cut with the frill trim - but this was down to who and where the pictures were developed I have seen 10000s of Pictures that have straight cut edges.

But as I say I am 100% sure this is real!

Nice picture btw!
            Last edited by chris235; 03-16-2013, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments and information guys. Now is my question....

Is is 100 % sure this picture is a fake or are its still thoughts ?

I mean the paper feels good and has some aging to it so I am really surprised with this news...?

Decerf

Comment

It is seemingly very hard to judge a picture by only seeing pictures on the internet...

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
                  Possibly an aged reprint done post war at best. Most all wartime photos have watermarked paper and was not smoothe on the edges.
                  No no no. lol Strraight cut paper was very common, as well as blank reverse. A lot of the major companies made paper without trademark on reverse. This would be one of those that needs a hands on inspection to authenticate paper IMO, but I think it has a chance.

Comment

I think if they were re e actors they would be full of medals and badges. The runes could also be from the over film exposure but probably metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis S View Post
                      I think if they were re e actors they would be full of medals and badges. The runes could also be from the over film exposure but probably metal.

I can only concur with Bill re the later etc and Dennis makes a very valid point i don't think i've ever seen reenactor photos where they where wern't sexed up and adorned with awards / cuff titles etc etc !!

Comment

In addition to what has already been said about reenactors, show me one reenacting unit, especially an SS unit, that does not include the overweight, middle aged guys. Most SS reenacting units I have seen wish they could field a zug of guys this age and size. IMHO these are definitely not reenactors.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments the picture, but it seems like the opinions are divided so far. Is there any other way of finding out if it is a nice original time period pic or not at all ?

Comment

reenactors

Yesterday I was presented for at pic with 3 Nordland members, two of them
                            where ok looking, but one of them had a wrong attitude, made a request
                            at a forum, which explains, swedish reenactors, seems to me fixing those
                            black/white photos, could easyli fool someone,
                            Seems to me they is or might be Latvians by the shield and the odd
                            collarpatches,

Comment

It is very interesting to read all these different opinions concerning this picture. I guess we will never know 100% .....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X