Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffen-SS group picture help needed please

Good afternoon gentlemen

Today I received this photo in my mailbox. I would like to ask you if it is possible to get some information about it of any sort ? It seems like the two soldiers at the left have arm shields attached to their tunics ? Is it possible to id the provenance to what group or country they belonged ? Are they maybe ss-freiwilligen troops ? The first photo is the original scan , the second is a "sepia scan" to give the photo a different perspective. Thanks for any information in advance

kind regards

Decerf
    Attached Files

close up and reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

please dont shoot me down, but to me it looks like a re enactor picture, dosnt look right to me, the faces look very modern,hope im wrong,sorry

Comment

The ss decals on the collar look oversized

Comment

Certainly reenactor

Comment

,,,OMG...even the pictures are not safe anymore..!!..yes, it truly looks like a bunch of sunday-soldiers.

Hans KristiaN

Comment

Who knows... the shield looks like Latvian Legion...

Comment

These are Latvians with metal runes
                Looks original to me

Comment

Possibly an aged reprint done post war at best. Most all wartime photos have watermarked paper and was not smoothe on the edges.

Comment

The men are Latvians. The conscription practiced there took in older and younger men, after most men of prime military age were first conscripted (or volunteered). Certain units, such as the original Latvian 2. SS-Brigade of early 1943, consisted of these prime-age men, but by mid-1944 the Latvian self-administration and the SS-FHA were taking any men they could get to make up the horrendous casualties the two Latvian divisions suffered.

Latvians were supposed to wear blank right collar patches, but many found this insulting, and so they made their own SS runes by cutting apart supply containers. That seems to be what these men are wearing. By mid-1944, the 15. WGD was wearing the sun & stars collar patch based on the Latvian Army design, while the 19. WGD was wearing the Latvian swastika collar patch.

This suggests the photo is from late 1943 or early 1944, before these official insignia were introduced. The best manpower went into the original brigade, expanded in the spring of 1944 into the 19. WGD. So, my best guess is that this is conscripted men, many on the older side, serving with the 15. WGD in the Velikiye Luki area, circa December 1943 or January 1944, before the retreat to the Velikaya River.

Comment

That picture looks like someone went around the runes and highlighted them extra-white.

I have seen something like that before in an original SS portrait picture where the owner had used black ink to cover up the SS collar tabs.

Years later when the black ink cleaned away the runes stood out as super white, and the black around the collar looked extra-black on account of not being exposed to light for decades (compared to the rest of the picture).

In this case I think it's hard to tell if that is an original or not.

Comment

Ss

My first impression of the runes was a camera flash glare but it is outdoors and with your explanation it makes sense that there is a sunshine glare on the metal runes !!! Thanks.

Originally posted by MarcRikmenspoel View Post
                        The men are Latvians. The conscription practiced there took in older and younger men, after most men of prime military age were first conscripted (or volunteered). Certain units, such as the original Latvian 2. SS-Brigade of early 1943, consisted of these prime-age men, but by mid-1944 the Latvian self-administration and the SS-FHA were taking any men they could get to make up the horrendous casualties the two Latvian divisions suffered.

Latvians were supposed to wear blank right collar patches, but many found this insulting, and so they made their own SS runes by cutting apart supply containers. That seems to be what these men are wearing. By mid-1944, the 15. WGD was wearing the sun & stars collar patch based on the Latvian Army design, while the 19. WGD was wearing the Latvian swastika collar patch.

This suggests the photo is from late 1943 or early 1944, before these official insignia were introduced. The best manpower went into the original brigade, expanded in the spring of 1944 into the 19. WGD. So, my best guess is that this is conscripted men, many on the older side, serving with the 15. WGD in the Velikiye Luki area, circa December 1943 or January 1944, before the retreat to the Velikaya River.

Comment

Originally posted by PHILBROWN View Post
                          please dont shoot me down, but to me it looks like a re enactor picture, dosnt look right to me, the faces look very modern,hope im wrong,sorry
                          My first opinion was the same!

Comment

Hi all -

Marc is correct here, as he usually is.

Many foreign volunteers did not like wearing blank or foreign non-runic SS tabs. When I interviewed Ukrainian volunteer Orest S., he showed me a photo of himself wearing SS runes. Also, I have seen the Soldbuch of a Hungarian volunteer who is clearly wearing metal runes in the identity photograph.

George

Comment

Agreed ! The tunics are certainly late war. Check out the shoulder straps.

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X