X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Waffe View Post
    Apparently, Mr. Brasse died recently-
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2011578.html

When I visited Auschwitz in 2003, the guide mentioned that photography of inmates ceased well before the liberation (for a number of reasons).
    I agree that the negative shown is of existing photos on a document, and not the original plate that went through the camera- and has little value.

Regards,
    Kent G.
    After that time, a lot of the registration and documentation procedures went by the wayside, overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of arrivals. Most of the prisoner photos were done before 1943. From 1942 back, it was common to prepare a death certificate for a prisoner, initially selected for work, who died or was killed. The average lifespan of a Jewish prisoner selected for work at Auschwitz was less than six months. As the numbers of prisoners and deaths mounted greatly into 1943-44, registration and recordkeeping of all types became less extensive. By mid-1944, when nearly 400,000 Hungarian Jews arrived at Auschwitz in the space of a few months, many new arrivals no longer got tatoos.

Comment

Originally posted by randy@treadways View Post
      Might it have been made by a Relief organization who was registering inmates who had just been liberated? That could explain the head scarf. And I'm not sure the Germans who have bothered photographing inmates when they had the tattoo system.
      All inmates selected for work at Auschwitz were photographed through 1942. Many thousands of these photos survive.

Comment

So, in your opinion those glass negatives might be some negatives done by Polish authorities who set up the museum in 1947 in order to preserve the original photos and never by the Germans pre 45. Right? So better to pass on them if offered?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X