early URKUNDE (June 1940) EK-1 ,handmade !!!!! Opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

early URKUNDE (June 1940) EK-1 ,handmade !!!!! Opinions please

I just got this early URKUNDE of the EK-1 in. It looks handmade.
    It has been issued on 30 June 1940 ,probably in France.
    What do you guy's think about it ??

Marcel
    Attached Files

And two close-up pictures.
    Attached Files

Comment

Marcel:

For me, I actually like the look of the document--BUT--an issue immediately jumped out at me as an item of concern. Why would there be a need to produce a handmade document for this timeframe and area? That kinda gives me angst about the document.

The unit would not have been remote or detached, supplies would have been uninterupted and available and the rear-echelon would have always been nearby. All of this means real EK1s and issued award documents would probably have been readily available.

Of course just my opinion.

Joe

Comment

Well the signature does match that of Erwin Vierow. According to Axis Biographical Research he was a Generalmajor until 1st August 1940 and on that date became commander of 9 Inf.Division but there is always the chance that he received his promotion slightly earlier.
        I think a home made example could of been issued if the unit hadn't ordered enough examples of the citation originally and made their own while waiting for more to arrive. I have a few Western Campaign EK citations and some are dated into August, and in one case December, 1940 which would indicate a backlog.

Comment

Unusual, but interesting. The signer, signature and unit match up - my guts says its good.

Comment

Marcel,

My first impression says that the document is a good one.

Is the Iron Cross image at the top, done by hand too, or printed ?

yours friendly

Eric-Jan

Comment

I like it, think again about the date, just a week after the armistice, the German army had advanced incredibly quickly, so fast their logistical tail struggled to keep up. It's hardly surprising something like EK award documents weren't Nr.1 priority to get to the troops.

I wonder what's behind this award as an EKI this early to someone like a sani of a pionier bataillon may hint at quite a story.
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

'Befehlshaber' is spelled wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
                  'Befehlshaber' is spelled wrong.
                  you are right about that.

sometimes that happens when someone tries to write it as nice as possible and doing letter by letter.

yours friendly

Eric-Jan

Comment

Thanks for your reply so far.
                    It sounds an interesting piece so far.

As far as I can see the Iron cross on the top is printed.

And indeed the word what supose to be "Befehlshabers" is on the urkunde "Befehshabers " just an error????

Comment

Hi Marcel,

Yes I thought that the Iron Cross was printed, compared to the ones printed on the official award documents for the EK.2 and EK.1.
                      But better to know it for sure by asking you about it.

I think that the missing "l" is just an error.

yours friendly

Eric-Jan

Comment

I remember seeing a printed version of an EK document that spelled out "Fuherer" (that was - yes - original). So it's not inconceivable that a hand-made doc like this would have a misspelling. By the time somebody noticed and said "Oh scheisse..." it was probably signed and too late.

best
                        hank
                        Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                        ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

It sounds all pretty positive. Thanks so far.

Is this type of urkundes a bit rare so worthed to keep ??

Comment

To me, basically all EK documents are worth keeping. This doc is uncommon in some ways but I wouldnt necessarily think that it would command a significant premium.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X