difference between a normal scanner and a good one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

difference between a normal scanner and a good one

I just bought this really nice original german color slide of a row of german army cars and trucks parked outside a city hall (rathouse)
    I had the original full scan from the seller and I have just done a full 12,000 dpi scan with my new epson v700 scanner.

I really love the results.
    I hope you guys enjoy.
    Best wishes.
    Ian.

www.pixpast.com

first is the sellers scan.
    Ian.

www.pixpast.com

Comment

the results.
      Ian

www.pixpast.com

Comment

Big differnece and very nice picture. I like the way you spell rathaus as well it makes it appropriate.

Comment

ooops didnt spot the rathouse thing .

i just found out the ID of this town.

The red brick rathouse building is...

Toruń

Nazi Germany annexed the city after the Invasion of Poland in 1939, and administered it as part of Danzig-West Prussia.Poles and Jews were classified as untermenschen by German authorities, with their fate being slavery and extermination. During World War II, the Germans used the chain of forts as POW camps, known collectively as Stalag XX-A. The city escaped significant destruction during the war. In 1945 it was liberated by the Soviet Red Army. As before the war, it was returned to Poland. The remaining ethnic German population was expelled, primarily to East Germany, between 1945 and 1947.

source.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toru%C5%84

Comment

That is one hell of a difference. What WxH px resolution does the V700 do up to ?

Comment

The highest is 12000 dpi but normally 6400 is enough. That makes a tif file of 600mb or 30mb jpg.
              Ian

Www.pixpast.con

Comment

i just got a cool link to a modern photo of the same building.
                Ian

www.pixpast.com

source
                http://www.fotowojcik.pl/index.php?p...5&Rpp=45&type=

Comment

my scanner really sucks!! all Photo Scans I made come out totally different in contrast, colour etc. than the actual image on the photo.. also backside of the photos look ugly compared to the actual photo reverse.
                  But changing the contrast in the scanner settings doesnt help to make it look much better...
                  I use a cheap Eps0n All-in-one type of thing
                  should have sticked to H*P...

Comment

i know the feeling.
                    I had a old perfecta scanner for my slides.
                    at the start about 5 years ago, it was fine but after time, the quality got worse and worse, until big red lines started shooting around each new scan.

But now I have my brand spanking new epson v700 and its brilliant.
                    As I said in other forums, I know its not as good as the famous Nikon Coolscan 5000 but ! the price difference is a hugh one and I think with a little photoshop cleaning, the sifference in produce can be dramatically reduced.

Best wishes.
                    Ian

www.pixpast.com

Comment

That is definitely a dramatic difference but I have to honestly ask how much post scan processing you did on your image. It appears you tweaked a number of parameters in Photoshop beyond what your scanner would normally do - i.e. enhanced color correction, adjustments to color saturation, contrast, brightness, sharpening and artifact removal. This is not really a fair "apples to apples" comparison. There's also the issue of scan resolution. If the slide seller originally scanned at 72-300 dpi and you're scanning at your max setting, of course your image will show more detail even before you do any post processing and as a result, his will look a lot more muted.
                      Speaking of resolution, if you scanned at 12,000 dpi there is no way that is truly achievable with any model short of the finest drum scanners. You have been deceived by the old marketing ploy: "The big print giveth and the small print taketh away". 12,000 dpi is touted by the manufacturer to make you think you are really getting some spectacular performance. But this is their "interpolated" number meaning the extra dpi's are added by the scanner's software and thus irrelevant when it comes to the true value which is derived from the optical resolution. In your case for the Epson V700, that is claimed to be 6400 dpi. You may be quite dismayed though to know that even that number is more marketing glitz. The true optical resolution for your scanner is closer to 2300 dpi or only about 40% of what Epson claims. The test results can be found here:

http://www.filmscanner.info/en/Epson...V700Photo.html

I'm not saying your scanner is no good. In fact it is one of the better flatbeds out there. I almost bought one myself (actually the V750 with the excellent Silverfast Ai Studio software bundled with it) to replace my Epson 4490 which I use for documents, photos, and large format negatives (where I am not overly concerned with image quality). But I bit the bullet and got a Nikon Coolscan just for 35mm slide scanning and it was well worth the investment!

seekwhence

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X