Question theme: Authentic or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question theme: Authentic or not?

I'm creating this thread due the many questions whether offered or collected photographs are original or reprinted etcetera... Here you can post your question about (a) photograph(s) to know whether they are authentic to the Third Reich or not. Please, take the time to post front and reverse.

Eventually this thread will also help the beginners to learn from the posts.

Great idea to put all in one thread. It's a good way to learn about what is real and what not, all easily sorted in one single thread. Myself I also have a few pics which I doubt their originality so I will scan these asap and post them here.

Comment

Comment

Good luck.... from the posted opinions I've seen opinions are like ass.... (you know). It will always boil down to what the buyer believes. As many have pointed out sometimes the photograph needs to be in your hand to determine authenticity.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
          Good luck.... from the posted opinions I've seen opinions are like ass.... (you know). It will always boil down to what the buyer believes. As many have pointed out sometimes the photograph needs to be in your hand to determine authenticity.
          That's why I created this thread . True, but if they do not like my opinion then I advice them not to take the time to post here. 95 % of all the photographs you can determine the authencity from a good scan of the front and reverse, if you have some years of experience.

Comment

Excellent idea! I look forwaed to dropping in sometimes to see what's cookin'

Of course, I may also be offering an opinion from time to time(........ if you don't mind, HouweTrouwe), and of course it will be JMHO, offered just only as that.
            "In hand" helps, but usually good, clear and sometimes very close-up photos/scans (front and back) are good enough, but that also is JMHO.

HouweTrouwe, thanks for starting this thread, I think it will get alot of visits and posts.

Jp

p.s. , it also might be fun to do some "tests" here to see if answers are correct.... I'm sure that goes on anyway, but it's only constructive if the answer is given. Maybe it wouldn't work,.... but just a thouight.

p.s..s. also what do you guys feel about "water marking"? I think it is a good idea on most photos.

Comment

Originally posted by HouweTrouwe View Post
              That's why I created this thread . True, but if they do not like my opinion then I advice them not to take the time to post here. 95 % of all the photographs you can determine the authencity from a good scan of the front and reverse, if you have some years of experience.
              I disagree but have at it

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                I disagree but have at it
                Since I recieved such a short and friendly reaction .. I took a little time to watch some of your opinions and I am glad you do disagree with me. I'm not meaning this personal but to look at your first made post here [argueing on opinions made you've seen so far but to be honest your 4/5 opinions I've seen aren't any better] in this thread and evt. just want to state that you disagree totally does not bring any value to this thread nor does it support the good idea behind it. Thanks for whining before even one member posted a photograph and not one opinion has been made. I'm offering many people my help and experience which I experienced in my years of (high end) portraits and photographs collecting. Numerous of them were used to publish in books. I'm not going to call myself an expert but I might say I know quite some of photograph collecting - Period 1933-1945 - and hopefully many questions of is this original and how do I recognize fakes / or more easily will be answered now.. Yes, we are going to have at it!

As one of the number one sources to buy photographs, ebay .. Be aware of following offered photographs:

http://cgi.ebay.de/3-Fotos-T34-BEUTE...item4aa7a8631c

http://cgi.ebay.de/2WK-Foto-ELITE-Ri...item4155cc3c50

Members, if you are not sure on authencity, just post

Comment

Originally posted by Mousey
                  I seen photos of the same tank sell a few days ago
                  1 and 2 are the exact same as the first two on your link.

number 1
                  number 2
                  number 3
                  number 4
                  The shown T-34 tank is a much photographed one, just like the "Hermann Göring" tank (heavy tank with the slogan). Seen these pop up much (with the RKT).

Comment

Originally posted by Mousey
                    I seen photos of the same tank sell a few days ago
                    1 and 2 are the exact same as the first two on your link.

number 1
                    number 2
                    number 3
                    number 4
                    I would consider these "RISKY" photos. for a few reasons.

1. A member here(in this case HouweTrouwe) states that he has seen the same photos for sale often.

2. The quality looks "suspect"

3. The seller does not bother to post better scans/photos of "photographs" offered.

I really didn't do alot of research on the seller/s, but the one I looked at passed the test of not having his previous listings set to "private". But there are other criteria that I didn't get into, mostly because I am not interested in those photos.

One thing with these types of purchases, there needs to be a 100% guarantee of satisfaction by the purchaser. What if you get them and find out that they glow like a christmas tree under a "blacklight", or there is some other obvious "postwar" manufacturing indication??

Now all this said, I think that HouweTrouwe is being very kind to offer his opinions for those that want to know what he thinks.

There is one photo that I have that I connot figure out, that I will be posting by tomorrow, it is so very odd and I anm hoping he, and others can help to i.d. what/ who it is and when it was probably produced.

Thanks again HouweTrouwe for offering your opinions, I hope opinions, both opposing and agreeing will be welcome here as well.

regards,
                    Jp

Comment

Ebay links post #8
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ebay links post #9
                        Attached Files

Comment

I really like the initiative of HouweTrouwe, but if we just post links, half the thread will be worthless in some weeks/months. This thread could save many members a lot of money, but everybody should be able to study the photos posted here by himself. By posting the photo instead of the link, this thread will help us much more and much longer

Kind regards, Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas H View Post
                            ................. By posting the photo instead of the link, this thread will help us much more and much longer
                            Kind regards, Thomas
                            Excellent point. Thanks for that.

While I'm here, the photo of guy with dog is REALLY REALLY x3 BAD!!!
                            And like I stated in a recent thread, FAKERS often glue their fakes into albums then take them out so there is album paper on the reverse. Naïve people think that this is a mark of originality.
                            After Thomas posted these pics., I would agree with HouweTrouwe that they are all modern repros.
                            Jp

Comment

didnt get any answer a while back to this thread I started to find out if the following photo is a well know fake.

mybe we can sort this out better here...unfortunatly no scan of the backside...if Repro, its a VERY DANGEROUS ONE!!
                              sold a while ago on estand for 10$

check out here
                              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=466103

andreas
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X