Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thälmannpionier,
    Was it for sale on e-stand for $10?
    According to Andrew Harris there are know fakes/modern repros with embossing?
    That was a difficult card to determine, espacially without seeing the reverse. .... but the fact(if so) it was for sale for $10 on a militaria site, isn't too promising.

I think the reason that you didn't get very many answers is because most did not know what to think of the card from just that pic and the info. The embossing made it more of a mystery, IMHO. Good photo to have early in the thread.

Jp

Comment

Hm... Interesting thoughts about embossed stamp of the atelier... Here is the photo (not mine). Embossed stamp is present... But the photo size is 5x8 cm. I never saw embossed stamp of the atelier on small size photos. Also, this stamp looks askew and contrast of the obverse is bad. IMO: this photo is fake. BUT: I never saw PC size fake photos with embossed stamp of the atelier. So, photo from here have chances to be original...

1.jpg2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by John Pen. View Post
        Thälmannpionier,
        Was it for sale on e-stand for $10?
        According to Andrew Harris there are know fakes/modern repros with embossing?
        That was a difficult card to determine, espacially without seeing the reverse. .... but the fact(if so) it was for sale for $10 on a militaria site, isn't too promising.

I think the reason that you didn't get very many answers is because most did not know what to think of the card from just that pic and the info. The embossing made it more of a mystery, IMHO. Good photo to have early in the thread.

Jp
        John,

Yes, it was in the bazaar section for 10$ a few months ago..
        I thought it might was a well known fake, because it was a stunning SS Studio Portrait and mostly such nice images are known in the portrait collector "scene"
        If they are floating around as Repros..maybe copied from books as usual.
        If that was a fake (and I hope so), I think it was one from the "high end" side, because the Photo itself looks pretty good (contrast,structure )
        pity we couldnt see the backside

to all: has any of the "skilled" photo collectors here studied those embossings a little more?
        Im sure nowadays it can not be considered to be a "good sign" on a photo, because to make such an embossing stamp, in times of CNC maschines, is pretty easy.

Andreas
        Last edited by Thälmannpionier; 01-09-2011, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Harris View Post
          Hm... Interesting thoughts about embossed stamp of the atelier... Here is the photo (not mine). Embossed stamp is present... But the photo size is 5x8 cm. I never saw embossed stamp of the atelier on small size photos. Also, this stamp looks askew and contrast of the obverse is bad. IMO: this photo is fake. BUT: I never saw PC size fake photos with embossed stamp of the atelier. So, photo from here have chances to be original...

]
          agree, this one looks bad and I also never saw and atelier stamp on small photos

as stated above...its such an easy thing for fakers to make a nice Atelier Embossing Stamp nowadays, so I wouldnt trust in a photo just because it has an embossing.

Andreas

Comment

Originally posted by HouweTrouwe View Post
            Since I recieved such a short and friendly reaction .. I took a little time to watch some of your opinions and I am glad you do disagree with me. I'm not meaning this personal but to look at your first made post here [argueing on opinions made you've seen so far but to be honest your 4/5 opinions I've seen aren't any better] in this thread and evt. just want to state that you disagree totally does not bring any value to this thread nor does it support the good idea behind it. Thanks for whining before even one member posted a photograph and not one opinion has been made. I'm offering many people my help and experience which I experienced in my years of (high end) portraits and photographs collecting. Numerous of them were used to publish in books. I'm not going to call myself an expert but I might say I know quite some of photograph collecting - Period 1933-1945 - and hopefully many questions of is this original and how do I recognize fakes / or more easily will be answered now.. Yes, we are going to have at it!

As one of the number one sources to buy photographs, ebay .. Be aware of following offered photographs:

http://cgi.ebay.de/3-Fotos-T34-BEUTE...item4aa7a8631c

http://cgi.ebay.de/2WK-Foto-ELITE-Ri...item4155cc3c50

Members, if you are not sure on authencity, just post
            Since you are the self proclaimed expert on photographs what happens when someone disagrees with your expert opinion then does it go to a coin toss? How does the photo get verified? Who has the final say? If you claim a photo is authentic and someone buys it and then it turns out to be a fake are you going to refund the buyers money? Just for the record how long have you been collecting? What credentials do you have?
            Last edited by 101combatvet; 01-10-2011, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
              Since you are the self proclaimed expert on photographs what happens when someone disagrees with your expert opinion then does it go to a coin toss? How does the photo get verified? Who has the final say? If you claim a photo is authentic and someone buys it and then it turns out to be a fake are you going to refund the buyers money? Just for the record how long have you been collecting? What credentials do you have?
              Mr.X,

This thread did start positive.

We saw your quick "ass....." reply, and you went into the attack position against the starter of this thread for no reason.

Please keep it polite.

yours friendly

Eric-Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Eric-Jan Bakker View Post
                Mr.X,

This thread did start positive.

We saw your quick "ass....." reply, and you went into the attack position against the starter of this thread for no reason.

Please keep it polite.

yours friendly

Eric-Jan
                Don’t get me wrong… I'm keeping it polite... but not only that I am being realistic. Anyone that deals in photographs will want to see them first hand to determine authenticity, anything else is just a guess. Don't get me wrong I'm all for helping others.... but it will still be a gamble. I have seen some very good fakes over the years.

Comment

I think it's a great idea for a thread & look forward to both learning from and contributing to it in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Harris View Post

[ATTACH]1721346[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1721347[/ATTACH]
                    This one is not original - the size with the atelierstamp combined with the cutting (also for the quality of the photograph). The SS portrait does look very good done although I've seen this one before.. Also I've seen reprints of negatives before WITH an atelierstamp. I'm having the same feeling with this portrait - do you have a scan of the complete photograph and not a cut out version? Scan of the reverse would help which sadly is not for hand. My voice, I do not believe in this photograph.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas H View Post
                      Ebay links post #8
                      As you can see here it are cut outs / cropped from the real, original photographs (to be seen in links post #8). This 'trick' is being used many times by fakers especially done on 9x6 CM size (which is a much used standard size)

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas H View Post
                        Ebay links post #8
                        The Panzer RKT (where I sadly do not know the name from) is also a bad fake. This is a good example to see that "leftovers from a photoalbum" do not always mean it are original photographs. Here you can see that 'fakers' just paste them on empty photoalbum pages and rip them out. Which make these kind of leftovers.

Comment

It's obvious that this is intended to be solely HouweTrouwe's opinion thread, so there is no need for me to contribute any further.
                          Good luck with this interesting thread.

Jp

Comment

Originally posted by John Pen. View Post
                            It's obvious that this is intended to be solely HouweTrouwe's opinion thread, so there is no need for me to contribute any further.
                            Good luck with this interesting thread.

Jp
                            No, it does not? Everyone can contribute their opinion. That's why it is ment to be a learning thread. Everyone may post what he knows or suspects to something so we all can learn from it. Therefor I wanted to be posted all in one thread.

Comment

Hereby some of my pics of which I have some doubts so any help would be welcome. They are not really special or anything so I hardly doubt someone would reprint these yet still some doubts are there hehe. Unfortunately my scanner didn't scan the backsides well enough so the markings are not really/almost not visible. I hope it's no problem that I post several at once

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Banziger View Post
                                Hereby some of my pics of which I have some doubts so any help would be welcome. They are not really special or anything so I hardly doubt someone would reprint these yet still some doubts are there hehe. Unfortunately my scanner didn't scan the backsides well enough so the markings are not really/almost not visible. I hope it's no problem that I post several at once
                                They are all original, which others will agree That they are not something special doesn't mean anything, many photos of equipment are being copied - the halftrack or the ship are beautiful photographs and easily to be copied and reprinted. Due many eyes didn't have seen the photographs, it get sold many times (even if it is for a small price, just count..).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 14 users online. 0 members and 14 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X