An interesting photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An interesting photo

Many of you must have seen it before, but this is the first time I see it.

looks like these are SS service medals, is that right?

Originally posted by madshark View Post
    looks like these are SS service medals, is that right?
    No, it's Faithful Service crosses...

Comment

ya looks like 25 yr crosses......Ive never seen this either. Neat photo. I cant believe Ive never seen this one before. Makes you wonder what other captured medals where junked. But at that time it was all considered Nazi trash

Comment

They certainly weren't throwing the loot on the ground like that at Schloss Klessheim

Comment

Little did they know that cased awards were worth something.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
            Little did they know that cased awards were worth something.
            Not much at the time. My best friend's dad was offered a DKIG in exchange for a pack of cigarettes, and he wouldn't do it.

Comment

No, I haven't seen it.... but I'm very glad you posted it. Great photo. Thanks

Looks like Berlin.

Cheers,
              Jp

Comment

Yes, sadly, it was just so much junk back then. You could get a blissful night with a fraulein for a pack of smokes.
                Wilhelm

Comment

Originally posted by VtwinVince View Post
                  They certainly weren't throwing the loot on the ground like that at Schloss Klessheim
                  haha thats for sure! That must have been incredible to loot that place!

Comment

If am not mistaken, those are the steps to the New Reich Chancellery on Voss Strasse (what was left of it, at least).

Kent G.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pen. View Post
                      ..........Looks like Berlin.
                      Cheers,
                      Jp
                      Originally posted by Waffe View Post
                      If am not mistaken, those are the steps to the New Reich Chancellery on Voss Strasse (what was left of it, at least).

Kent G.
                      I was thinking that too, the Reich Chancellery steps.
                      Thanks.
                      Jp

Comment

I hadn't seen it before but it's an excellent picture. Looks like a few thousand years of service crosses at their feet !

Comment

I found another photo that was taken on the same steps to the New Chancellery.

Here is a photo I took in 2003 in the same location (Voss Strasse, Berlin). The New Chancellery was a huge building, and took up the whole block between Wilhelm Strasse and Hermann Goering Strasse (now Ebertstrasse). The building had two entrance staircases- my photo was taken roughly near the one closer to the Wilhelm Strasse.

Regards,
                          Kent G.

Comment

WOW! Same spot! Same little Awards boxes strewn about!
                            Nice one. thanks for posting that one!
                            Jp

p.s. see the "bevels" at the top of each step(in both photos). Waffe, you have a keen eye.

Comment

You're welcome. I believe the Russians are sitting on the other side of the pillar (left side). One thing I noticed when comparing the two photos: the German's boots are missing. Now look at the Russian soldiers' boots- one pair is knee-high, the other pair is lower. It might be that one of the Russians in the picture is the one that commandeered the boots!

Kent G.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X