Russians ID'd wrong GENERAL!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi again Dave,

Guessing now, but I think "Captured archive - Heber" etc would most likely be the things taken from Heber (or whoever) when he was captured. Maybe a photo album or other personal belongings. I think the Russians were fairly meticulous about recording anything they picked up - I have a small photo of a low-ranking soldier with his name written on the back - the Russians had added the Russian version of his name to make it easier for them to log I suppose.

These look like index cards, perhaps from a museum or possibly a government archive.

Comment

How I 'understand' the cards is that they were used at various check-points as reference to pull aside RKt! Places like POW camps, train stations and any other points where identification would have to be checked!

Dave
      Regards,
      Dave

Comment

I don't know - it would seem strange to me to index something as "2nd World War" if it was for use during WW2. Generally, the Russians call the event the "Great Patriotic War of 1941-45". I think "2nd World War" is more like a reference to the period 1939-45 for them. But that's by the way.

I feel that the pictures have been indexed after the war. Or if they were indexed during the war, then it must have been alongside material from other wars, so for record keeping rather than active use. The information fields printed on the cards look like general archiving information, not what would be most useful on a set of photos put together and widely issued for a specific purpose. But it's all interesting nontheless.

James

Comment

James, yes it would appear strange for the Russians to call it WWII during and even after!

Maybe we were chasing a ghost here and it is all quite academic...

Thanks for you great efforts and time spent 'pondering' these.

Dave
          Regards,
          Dave

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X