HJ Photo. Reproduction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HJ Photo. Reproduction?

I just picked up this HJ postcard portrait from the Estand. I posted it in the Political forum here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=386447

I recieved the information I wanted concerning the NSKK patch he is wearing and was also told this photo has been published in a reference book. As postcards are often made in duplicates this seemed not impossible, but still. Another poster stated that this photo has been floating around as a fake for a while. I don't have a blacklight, but plan on getting one and checking it out. In the meantime, does anyone have any other opinions based on my scans. I have a collection of private postcard portraits and nothing jumps out at me here. The picture does not appear to be artificially aged or anything and is in fact in excellent condition, with no writing on it. I know this doesn't prove anything one way or the other as mint items that are real do exist, and fake items sometimes are artificially aged to fool people.
    Attached Files

Here is the rear in typical postcard format. The writing is Echte Photographie, which I have seen on other postcards.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Steve,

Here's an older thread with some info regarding the Echte Photographie mark which may be helpful.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=139250

The back of your card does appear to be similar if not identical to a known fake as shown in the other thread.

A blacklight test may help to tell for sure.

Tim

Comment

Thanks for that link. The rear does look the same, but it's a fairly generic setup so I'm not sure if it's enough to condem it. Notice the fake shown was an SS portrait, that would no doubt fetch a good price. I never paid a lot for mine. Again, no proof it's real, just food for the the discussion. Anyone else?

Comment

I am sorry Steve, but I am convinced that this is a forgery. The "Echte Photographie" mark in this layout is more and more often used by the Eastern European (mostly Polish, Hungarian, Ukrainian and Latvian) forgers. Also the postcard edge is suspicious. The black light test is slowly becoming obsolete, as the new forgeries are printed on thicker paper without the optical brighteners. Lastly something to keep in mind - majority of the WWII postcards, produced as atelier portraits had the paper brand printed on the back (Agfa, Mimosa, Velox, Voigtländer etc.) and often also an atelier mark. In my opinion, this photograph is not good and I hope it was not too expensive.

Of course, I can be wrong on all of this...

Mark
          Last edited by lohengrin; 10-12-2009, 08:48 PM.

Comment

I just recieved it a few days ago and have not contacted the seller yet about my suspicions as I am still researching. It wasn't super expensive, but I do not want reproductions in my collection.

Comment

My advice: Return it as fast as you can!!

Photograph collecting is an expensive hobby. I burned myself few times too... although I usually just destroy the forgeries and get more cautious the next time. Good Luck - Steve!!

Comment

Originally posted by lohengrin View Post
                My advice: Return it as fast as you can!!

Photograph collecting is an expensive hobby. I burned myself few times too... although I usually just destroy the forgeries and get more cautious the next time. Good Luck - Steve!!
                Thanks. I'll contact him tomorrow and see what he says. I'll reference the two threads I have posted so far.

Comment

By the way- Have a look here (in fact on the top of the "Photos and Paper Items Forum") - http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=153090 and then http://www.kriegsberichter.de/Data/fake01e.htm

This reference by Mr. Noss will be very helpful for you....

Mark

Comment

Thanks for the link. I have read it before and actually read it earlier tonight when I started to look into this photo.

Comment

I have been speaking with the seller, who is willing to take the photo back. However, he says it has been in his collection for 15 years and he doesn't think it's a fake. I paid $20 US all in for this picture so money is not really an issue here. Maybe it's one of the original ones. It's possible. Again, I'm not saying yay or nay here as I'm not an expert. I want to try the blacklight test next. Just have to find one.

Comment

These are some nice reproductions. IMHO burn it. One less reproduction to worry about. Looking to the quality it came directly from a Glass negative and is worked-out very nicely. Just destroy it otherwise another collector will get tricked.

Comment

Originally posted by B. Verstraeten View Post
                          These are some nice reproductions. IMHO burn it. One less reproduction to worry about. Looking to the quality it came directly from a Glass negative and is worked-out very nicely. Just destroy it otherwise another collector will get tricked.
                          What reason do you have for thinking it's a reproduction? I'm listening to all sides with an open mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Campbell View Post
                            What reason do you have for thinking it's a reproduction? I'm listening to all sides with an open mind.
                            Quality of the photo and the photo paper itself. It is suspicious to see such a nice, clear photo on that photopaper.. Coincidence?

Comment

This one is racking up a few strikes against it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X