No announcement yet.

Post your "translation needed" here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are a few I am stuck on, I can make out the odd word throughout these but if anyone can decipher them that would be a big help !

Thanks for checking.

Comment

trans

1 Im Bandeneinsatz Gebiet Magilew Okt. 1943
      2 Stuetzpunkt 143 Noch (?) in Stellung
      3 Im Einsatz brennendes Banditendorf
      4 Unterwegs nach -------- Aug. 43 ------- eingebrochen, B------ ----
      5 Im Einsatz Gebiet Magilew
      6 ditto 5 Strassen------(?) prob. obvious in the photo
      7 ditto 3
      8 ditto 5
      9 Im Bandeneinsatz brennendes Dorf
      10 ditto, nach der Durchkaemmung
      11 ditto 1

Comment

# 5619 + 5620

4) ...Tschaussy ...Lastwagen eingebrochen, Brücke entz..(?)

6) ...Straßensperre...

Gerdan

Comment

Theophoren

"Theophoren"
          This word is in a 1928 German published book(on ancient history and gods) that was widely popular with arch conservatives of the far right and Nazi faithful .

I have looked through my German Dictionaries, my OED of historical principles series of Dictionaries, my 1998 Britannica Encyclopedia , my French dictionary and even my Greek-English interlinear Bible translation without any Help.
          Google And web seaches show it is/was used by French speakers and is an archaic Greek derived word...(greek etymology: God +door)somehow meaning something like a name of god or a set of words related to a deity.

I assume it will mean something akin to "Theological terminology."

But I want to know for certain.

Who knows this word

Comment

Many thanks Pauke & Gerdan !!

Comment

# 5622

Michael

"Theophore" is a description of word/name combination to show that the bearer of a certain

name (person) would be related in a special way with god.

A theophore name is for example "Apollodoros" - gift of Apollo or "Diokles" - fame of Zeus.

It is very difficult for me to give you an interpretation in English language but I tried it.

Gerdan

Comment

thanks Gerdan

Thank you Gerdan,
                that is almost what I first assumed it meant when just reading the word in context of the sentences it was in. But I needed to know for certain, and as I explained -it is not a word to be found with a definition.

So something like Wotankind (child of Odin/Wotan) or if some modern sect named their kids "Christlike" or "treasure of Jesus" I guess.

I assume you have not come across any dictionary with this word, but am helping me from your memory.

Thanks again, I have really been needing to know this word as translations are in need of clarity.
                Michael

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
                # 5622

Michael

"Theophore" is a description of word/name combination to show that the bearer of a certain

name (person) would be related in a special way with god.

A theophore name is for example "Apollodoros" - gift of Apollo or "Diokles" - fame of Zeus.

It is very difficult for me to give you an interpretation in English language but I tried it.

Gerdan

Comment

Gerdan...

Gerdan,

Thanks for the condensed summary on the document lot.
                  That is a big help.
                  You are the best!

dandan

Comment

Hello,

Anyone can help me to give me the correct name on the 1st line please ?
                    I can read : 20/10/43 - GR 688 - Fhr. f. Dauer Erkrankg. Obst. Wick ? Wrick ?

Any help is appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Rudolf44 View Post
                      Hello,

Anyone can help me to give me the correct name on the 1st line please ?
                      I can read : 20/10/43 - GR 688 - Fhr. f. Dauer Erkrankg. Obst. Wick ? Wrick ?

Any help is appreciated
                      I'd say Ulrich.

best
                      Hank
                      Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                      ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Hi guys,
                        would someone be able to help me with the translation ? It is a photo which I got withe the grouping of a FJ who was killed in Tunisia.
                        Many thanks in advance
                        Gustav
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here the photo which may help
                          Attached Files

Comment

# 5629

Here the German text:

" Straßengabel am Eingang von Chuigui (Tunesien) bei Tebaunba(?). Links im Bild Rolf. Der deutche

7,5 cm Straßenpanzerwagen hätte ihn um Haaresbreite zusammengeschossen. Sie (?) stießen

aus verschiedenen Richtungen bei einer Gewaltaufklärung mit demselben Ziel aufeinander.

Es ist dies das einzige Bild, das ich von Rolf habe. Ihnen ist es ungleich wertvoller.

Ihr ....sig.

NICHT ZENSIERT"

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
                              # 5629

Here the German text:

" Straßengabel am Eingang von Chuigui (Tunesien) bei Tebaunba(?). Links im Bild Rolf. Der deutche

7,5 cm Straßenpanzerwagen hätte ihn um Haaresbreite zusammengeschossen. Sie (?) stießen

aus verschiedenen Richtungen bei einer Gewaltaufklärung mit demselben Ziel aufeinander.

Es ist dies das einzige Bild, das ich von Rolf habe. Ihnen ist es ungleich wertvoller.

Ihr ....sig.

NICHT ZENSIERT"

Gerdan
                              Many thanks Gerdan
                              It makes sense because Rolf on the pic was killed in Tunisia and his former company leader sent a letter to his parents in 1944,he explained them how Rolf was killed and attached also the photo...Rolf was killed just 2 days before the Christmas 1942...

Comment

Here is another from me :

This relates to this picture :

I think (open to correction) some of it is :

Witebsk, July 943
                                Von Links nach rechts
                                Russig(?) XXX XXXX 5 Ukranische(?)
                                XXX XXX XXX

Thanks for checking!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 92 users online. 0 members and 92 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X