GermanMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Hilfskreuzer (Auxiliary Cruiser) photos out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detail from the above photo showing the HSK badge in wear.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Westley View Post
      Here is the last photo from the "Stier" group.

Regards,Martin.
      Verrrry nice photos Martin!

I think I will add this link here: http://www.historical-media.com/id102.htm
      Kind regards,
      Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Hilfskreuzer

Thanks for posting those Martin, they are some great shots. I do remember seeing a couple of those on an old post before.

I'm glad to see there are a few Hilfskreuzer photos out there, but I am surprised there are not more. Anybody else have some?

Giel thanks for posting the link, actually I just bought that group.

Comment

great pics. Auxiliary Cruisers came down my way in WW2 so always keen to learn more about them

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post

I'm glad to see there are a few Hilfskreuzer photos out there, but I am surprised there are not more.

Giel thanks for posting the link, actually I just bought that group.
            Actually i am not surprised that there are a lot more photo's out there.Only nine of these ships put to sea with any success,so if photo's from these ships do come up for sale i would consider them very rare.
            BTW John,congratulations on purchasing that "Komet" grouping that Giel posted.I am sure there is some great pic's in there.

Dave,
            there are many good books out there on the HSK's if want to learn more.

Regards,Martin.
            Last edited by Martin Westley; 01-13-2009, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Hilfskreuzer photos

Martin I understand your point about there only being 9 ships, but with so many men on each ship I would have thought we'd see a few more groups of photos out there. But then of course, unlike the early panzermen who could carry their camera in the tank and have the film developed at any town on their march, the HSK crews could not stop by their local photomart could they.

I am really looking forward to receiving the group and will share some of it here after it arrives.

Do you know of a good book on the Komet written in English by chance?

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
                Martin I understand your point about there only being 9 ships, but with so many men on each ship I would have thought we'd see a few more groups of photos out there. But then of course, unlike the early panzermen who could carry their camera in the tank and have the film developed at any town on their march, the HSK crews could not stop by their local photomart could they.

Do you know of a good book on the Komet written in English by chance?
                John,
                you have to consider that most of these ships were sunk.Many a good camera and it contents probably went down with the ships.
                As far as books go there is good coverage of the voyage of the Komet in "German Raiders of World War II" by August Karl Muggenthaler.
                There is also a great little book titled "Adventure on the German Raider Komet 1940-1941" by Charles H Noack.
                This is a hard one to find.Noack was a crewman on the Komet's first cruise.I picked up my copy from abebooks.com a couple of years ago.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Komet

Thanks Martin. I just bought the Komet book by Eyssen off Abebooks last night but did not see the Noack book. I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.

I did just finish the section on the Komet in the book "Hitler's Secret Pirate Fleet" by James P. Duffy, but it was VERY limited on detailed information.
                  Last edited by WWIIBuff; 01-14-2009, 08:13 PM.

Comment

John,

was the Eyssen book in German or English?I have yet to find an English publication.

Regards,Martin.

Comment

Komet

Hi Martin,

Unfortunately the Eyssen book is in German, I haven't found any reference to an English translation. It will make for longer reading as a result of the language difference, but I'll work through it.

Comment

H.K. Komet

Here are a few pictures of Hilfskreuzer Komet and the first part of it's jorney.

This first picture shows a view from the ship as it begins to enter the ice barrier north of Russia on it's infamous northern breakout route.
                        Attached Files

Comment

H.K. Komet

A view of Captain Eyssen standing on the bridge of the ship as it heads towards the South Pacific.
                          Attached Files

Comment

H.K. Komet

A view of the H.K. Orion (disguised as a Japanese freighter) and the supply ship Kulmerland (in the background) as they rendezvous with the Komet.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by WWIIBuff; 01-20-2009, 02:34 AM.

Comment

H.K. Komet

Changing the look of the Komet. Crewmen repaint the Komet a different color as the camouflage theme and name of the ship are changed for it's new disguise (in this case from that of a Russian freighter to a Japanese freighter, the Manyo Maru).
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by WWIIBuff; 01-20-2009, 02:40 AM.

Comment

H.K. Komet

The New Zealand freighter Holmwood feels the power of the Komet's artillery. She is being sunk after it's crew, passengers, and any valuable goods (including many sheep) have already been removed.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by WWIIBuff; 01-20-2009, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X