No announcement yet.

From the Kriegsberichter's Eyes: A study in German Press Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks PK-Heer. I may yet be able to get something off the ground as far as publishing a book. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcRikmenspoel View Post
      Todd, FYI, Friedrich Zschäckel was probably with (Das) Reich in 1941, during the advance on Moscow. My files indicate that he was with the Nord Division during early 1942, and then with LAH in France that summer. During 1943, he seems to have covered Totenkopf at Kharkov, and then Das Reich at Kursk. He was with the Hitlerjugend Division in Normandy, and is believed to have died during October 1944 (a translated German document that accompanies the contact sheets at the US National Archives says precisely that, "believed to have died during October 1944," without elaborating.

Zschäckel was a holder of the Iron Cross I, and was promoted to Obersturmführer on April 20, 1943. This makes him one of the highest-ranking Waffen-SS combat photographers, as well as one of the most well-traveled.

Finally! Thanks Mark for posting this information on SS Kriegsberichter Zschäckel.
      I never knew his rank and now that you have posted it i was finally able to match him up with several photos from my KURSK photo book series. He was the only KB man I would see from time to time in photos taken by fellow SS-KB men.

These two photos show Obersturmführer Zschäckel in a Russian anti tank ditch during the first days of "Operation Citadel" July 1943.

The photos were taken by SS-KB Hermann Groenert who was with the 3rd SS "Totenkopf" Division.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Remy Spezzano View Post
        Finally! Thanks Mark for posting this information on SS Kriegsberichter Zschäckel.
        I never knew his rank and now that you have posted it i was finally able to match him up with several photos from my KURSK photo book series. He was the only KB man I would see from time to time in photos taken by fellow SS-KB men.

These two photos show Obersturmführer Zschäckel in a Russian anti tank ditch during the first days of "Operation Citadel" July 1943.

The photos were taken by SS-KB Hermann Groenert who was with the 3rd SS "Totenkopf" Division.
        Glad I could be of help, thanks for sharing those images!

Comment

Great photos of Obersturmführer Zschäckel ! It clearly shows one what a good target an officer makes wearing his crusher on the battlefield, IMO.
          Adrian.

Comment

Thanks Remy for posting the pics of the SS KB officer. It's always nice to put a face to the name of a man whose name I see on press photos from time to time.

H4023/ A shot down Soviet bomber goes up in flames.
            10 January 1942 Weltbild PK-Knittel
            Attached Files

Comment

German Infantry construct winter positions in the East. Infantry guns are installed.
              12 January 1942 Orbis PK-Knittel
              Attached Files

Comment

H4088/ On the highway.
                Panzers secure the highway against surprise attacks from the enemy.
                13 January 1942 Weltbild PK-von der Becke

** Does anyone have any information on this Kriegsberichter? I know he was later a KB in the Grossdeutschland Division.
                Attached Files

Comment

Mousey,

Great press photo. Thanks for sharing it with us.

H4138/ The gulasch wagon is right on time.
                  In this cold weather a warmer double soup tastes so good.
                  15 January 1942 PK-Zündorf
                  Attached Files

Comment

3155b/ Germanys Luftwaffe is successful in northern Finland.
                    Our Stuka’s wear warm “Winter clothing”. The aircrafts cloth cover provides a good disguise as well as protects against the cold. Its fantastic appearance bestows its best performance to go into action.
                    15 January 1942 Atlantic PK-Niermann
                    Attached Files

Comment

3156a/
                      It is good he is not alive. This master tattletale is being used as a road sign.
                      15 January 1942 Atlantic PK-Haller
                      Attached Files

Comment

Guys, I am trying to narrow down some of the markings and script variations on the backs of these press photos. If you have press photos in you collection and you wish to share them, please e-mail me scans (especially the back of the photo) of what you wish to share.

Also, if you have any material or information in regards to the press agencies Hoffmann, Weltbild, Press Bild Zentrale, Atlantic, Scherl, Orbis, the gebrauch series, Transocean, etc. I would be very grateful for this information. For example, who was in charge of these various agencies? How long were they in existence, do they still exist today or did they end in May '45? How were the press photos sent to these agencies? Does anyone have any documentation or artifacts from these agencies? It' surprising how little information is out there on these companies which were a vital link to the propoganda machine of the Third Reich. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please PM me if you have anything you wish to share.

Comment

great Pic´s !!!!

@ Todd, pls can you show the reverse of 3138 and 3142 ???
                          many Thx from germany
                          marvin

Comment

Hi Marvin,

Here you go.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MarcRikmenspoel View Post
                              I found another photo of the tank in Charles Trang's book on the Totenkopf Division. It had the name VICTORIEUX stencilled on the front. The photo seems to be from the Totenkopf Division's path of advance through Picardy, around May 22 or so, of 1940.

I know some people investigate the named French tanks, but I'm not up on this line of research. If anyone has information about this particular Char B, it could help pinpoint the location.

As a guess, the SS General might be Hans-Adolf Prützmann, but I'm not really certain.

Edited to add, the photo's date of July 11 would probably be when it was released to the press, but can you clarify this, Todd? Does the caption state that the occasion was on July 11? I would expect destroyed tanks would have been cleared away by this date.
                              I beleive the SS officer is Karl Wolf

Comment

Originally posted by Remy Spezzano View Post
                                This picture shows him with a camera around his own neck... so he might have loaned his own camera to fellow SS-KB men to take snapshots to send back home. (of course this picture couldn't have been taken with that camera!)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 11 users online. 0 members and 11 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X