No announcement yet.

From the Kriegsberichter's Eyes: A study in German Press Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F3037/ German Panzer on an uninhabitable path.
    Our picture shows the crossing of a railroad tunnel in Norway.
    9 July 1940 Weltbild PK-Gebert

Provided by fellow WAF member:
    2nd wagon from ??? Zug (platoon) of the first company. Hauptmann von Burstin commanding. Actually von Burstin led a detachment of several Wehrmacht infantry units and some of the panzers from his company during some fighting close to Trondheim in the final stage of the campaign.
    Attached Files

Comment

42359/ Holland is in the protection of the German Wehrmacht.
      The picture shows an English Wellington bomber that was shot down by German Flak near Haerlem.
      11 July 1940 Hoffmann
      Attached Files

Comment

Troops stop by a goulash cannon to get a bite to eat on their way to the homeland after being discharged from the French army.
        12 July 1940 SS-Kriegsberichter SS-PK-Ganzert
        Attached Files

Comment

5411d/ They have determined that it is not easy.
          Our 2 cm Flak has determined the fighting in Vogesen is not easy.
          14 July 1940 Atlantic PK-Leonhardt
          Attached Files

Comment

AV59898/ Outstanding positioning of the German bombs.
            An impressive aerial photo is brought home by our reconnaissance showing the important bombing attack by German fighter aircraft at the Paris-Villeneuve-Orly airfield. Every detail is clearly recognized and labeled: under 1 and 2 are two large burning hangers, 3 is a large hanger which has received more direct hits, 4 is a small hanger which received a direct hit and a bomb directly before the entrance, 5 is a hanger which received multiple hits, 6 is a burning camp. The triangle symbols indicate enemy aircraft damaged in the German air attack. The lower half of the photo shows the airship buildings which were not damaged by bombs.
            15 July 1940 Scherl
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is the back side of post 1451 per request.

Feel free to post any of your press photos in your collection to this thread.
              Attached Files

Comment

F3282/ This airport in northern France is restored.
                It has been improved as well. It was justified to have requisitioned it all for the positioning of aircraft. (JU-86)
                16 July 1940 Weltbild PK-Bock
                Attached Files

Comment

F3284/ A German Schnellboote leaves on a mission against England.
                  16 July 1940 Weltbild
                  Attached Files

Comment

F3288/ Bombers on the Steppes.
                    A well-camouflaged bomber sits at an Italian airfield in Afrika. The bomber in the background only waits to carry out a bombing mission on a British target.
                    16 July 1940 Weltbild
                    Attached Files

Comment

F3309/ The picturesque harbor of La Rochelle.
                      17 July 1940 Weltbild PK-Fosshag
                      Attached Files

Comment

AV60076/ The Italian southern front in Libya.
                        The Italian Air Force stopped an enemy armored column, which was attacking Italian territory.
                        17 July 1940 Scherl
                        Attached Files

Comment

5509/ At an airfield on Jersey.
                          A German aircraft (JU-52) has landed on the canal island, which was wrested from the English.
                          17 July 1940 Atlantic PK-Wiedemann
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Todd,

thank You very much for posting this very interesting pic of Northern Africa. But I cannot agree with the text to the pic. For me it´s no armoured Italian column, but two destroyed Italian trucks. I think of the type (Fiat-) Spa Dovunque 35. I´m awfully sorry I would post two pics of this truck (source; Bart Vanderveen: Historic Military Vehicles Directory), but I don´t succed in, because I have no URL of these pics.

Regards

Bert

Comment

Bert,

I think the photo is suppose to show possibly British vehicles destroyed by Italian aircraft. All the caption states is "an enemy armored column". It wouldn't be uncommon for the press agencies to have misleading captions on the photos. This was often done to maximize the effect of the propaganda on the people. It is interesting to identify these inaccuracies in the captions on the press photos. Thanks for pointing this apperent discrepency out to us.

Comment

5541/ The bombing effects of German aircraft.
                                German aircraft bombs left this French airport and aircraft in ruins. Afterwards, enemy resistance came to an end.
                                18 July 1940 Atlantic PK-Kohnen
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 26 users online. 0 members and 26 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X