UniformsNSDAP

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caution when inserting photos! Copiers!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good work! Thank you for all who filed complaints! I haven't heard from the admins about the said member yet, but if found...

Comment

This topic seems to pop up every few months as new crooks are exposed selling images from WAF members. Unfortunately it will come up again. When theres easy money to be had you always find thieves.As mentioned earlier I seriousily doubt that any legal action can be taken. Copyright laws are pretty specific and I doubt many of the pictures posted are protected.In this case the crook is a WAF member and probably watched this discussion. Now hes gone underground at least for now.

The entertainment industry spends millions each year in lawyer fees and advertising to curb this problem and the problems still out there. As long as there are people willing to buy pirated media there will be folks out there willing to sell it. How many members have ever copied a movie, downloaded music or watched a pirated movie? At some point I'd say some of us (me included but not with WWII photos) have helped promote this attitude- that theres nothing wrong with stealing intellectual or artistic works. The thieves depend on this attitude in order to profit.

Heres a link to the U.S. Gov. link on copyrights.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html

WR Jim

Comment

I just has a little though on how much time and effort this guy must of used to do that sort of work.

He was selling pics for 1~5$ he must of been selling alot to make any money or else he has lots of time to wast and easy free access to computer (in state pen ) was using cheap Chineenes labour or he or she had not head for figures.

I even see that he remove the water mark from some phots (that is alot of work) Still can't see him making any sort of a living from it??

Even Taking into account he was getting his photos for free??

Comment

he had over 20 pages of photos and on some of the rarer photos got more than $5. You can't get rich at it but he only worked two days a week at it according to what I could read in in web site. I noted that one rare SS photo went for $13 (one of my photos!!!). I simply hope that this has taught him a lesson as in discussion with other members who also had photos copied we fired a broadside at this web pirate and it may even be that Ebay reacted after all of our complaints. My very special thanks to Tim C. who spotted this and warned me that it was going on.

PzV

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
            I just has a little though on how much time and effort this guy must of used to do that sort of work.

He was selling pics for 1~5$ he must of been selling alot to make any money or else he has lots of time to wast and easy free access to computer (in state pen ) was using cheap Chineenes labour or he or she had not head for figures.

I even see that he remove the water mark from some phots (that is alot of work) Still can't see him making any sort of a living from it??

Even Taking into account he was getting his photos for free??
            This could be just one of many different avenues that could be used to sell the photos.

When you think about it the time is not that great, exclude the removing of the watermark via a graphics programme. Download the photo, crop it, enhance it, etc. Price it at a cost that covers your processing etc.

It may not be enough to make a living but over time it would be enough to fund a new album or a couple of photo lots.

Cheers

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Takiguchi View Post
              As I stated in the past, copyright has nothing to do with this problem.
              Photographs were underprotected in early days (not so today) and those that once lost protection of copyright law remain unprotected.
              We ourselves can safely post scans of period photographs because copyright has expired...
              Unfortunately that's not true any more because of the 1995 European Law on Copyright. It's a terrible law and the worse part being it is retroactive. That means material that had formerly lost its copyright protection has become protected again!

During WWII the international copyright law for still images ruled that the copyright expired fifty years after the photograph was taken (not published). Therefore most of the early WWII photographs lost their copyright protection in the mid-1990's.

The 1995 European law changed that and applies to all photographs, and other copyrighted material, previously under the protection of the copyright law in the EU countries.

The European law can be enforced on all citizens of any country that has signed the Berne convention on copyright - that includes the USA. An American citizen can be, and has been, sued for damages under the European copyright law in a US court.

(Disclaimer, that's my understanding of the current law but I'm not a lawyer and the above should not be taken as legal advice)

Comment

Thank you for the correction; I ordered http://www.amazon.com/Copyright-Phot...9941665&sr=8-1 last year and still waiting for it to arrive (I know it's not the most recent book and that copyright law is continuously changing!).

If the law is applied retroactively, copyright will NOT expire 50/70 years after the death of the photographer I believe (if privately taken), which will be a long way to go in most cases...

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Takiguchi View Post
                  Thank you for the correction; I ordered http://www.amazon.com/Copyright-Phot...9941665&sr=8-1 last year and still waiting for it to arrive (I know it's not the most recent book and that copyright law is continuously changing!).

If the law is applied retroactively, copyright will NOT expire 50/70 years after the death of the photographer I believe (if privately taken), which will be a long way to go in most cases...
                  As far as I know new laws do not apply retroactively for copyrights. For pre 1976 US works it is definetly not retroactive.

Comment

Usually changes in copyright law are not retroactive but that was the crazy thing implemented in the 1995 European copyright law.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X