Attention all gebirgsjäger fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what unit might this guy be from?
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Hi Richard,

There's no evidence for this guy to be GJ. Both the cap Edelweiss and the sleeve badge can't be seen in the picture.
      The trousers could be the GJ type or the normal M43 trousers as the pocket flaps can't be seen. The shoes might be a clue, but these are non-GJ and he isn't wearing the Wickelgamaschen that were usually worn.
      Could be he's a GJ, but most of the times these guys were proud to be a GJ and showed off at least the sleeve badge.

So Simon, hard to tell what unit the belonged to unless there's something written on the back of the picture.

Merdock, I'm sorry to tell you the boots you've shown us are not the standard Wehrmacht GJ boots. These seem more like Swiss. These clamps/studs were never used on issued GJ-boots. I have some pictures form the Heeres Hochgebirgsschule Fulpmes that show the standard GJ-boots with the sides 'covered' with a different kind of studs, but these are straight at the sides not curved like the ones your boots have.

You all probably know the standard issue GJ-boots, but I took the liberty to post some pictures here

First the general view.

Note the ever present cloth on the top. No nails on the side for leather reinforcement. It's also possible to have the upper eyes replaced with hooks.

Comment

Next ...

... the soles.

Always the same layout.

Comment

and ...

... a close-up of the used nails.

The flat ones were for use with the ski's. the pre-war shoes have these in copper and were fastened with small screws.

Comment

and finaly a close-up of the markings. These shoes have them on the inside. Out-side is also very well possible.

I hope this helps.

Bart

Comment

Hi Bart
              I'm at work at the moment so don't have access to my books but i was wondering if there was a Geb. unit stationed on the island?

I fully agree that mountain boots do not a gebirgsjäger make. You will find plenty of photos of gebirgsjäger wearing the normal Heer ankle boot as well as the 'jackboot'.

An interesting little note on Geb. boots. You can often tell whether or not the original owner used skis by looking for small indentations in the leather either side of the toe. The metal bindings which held the toe would often leave permanent indentations into the wet leather.

Regards

Simon
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Hi ,
                Thanks for the input GJR as the internal makings are similar could the germans have used swiss equipment as it is a neibouring country.they look old enough.
                Merdock

Comment

Nice to see that you liked it, I have four other pictures of the gebirgsjäger (EKI in Russia, parade uniform in Mittenwald etc) Thanks for sharing the pictures Akira.

Best regards/ Daniel

Comment

Hi Merdock,

As far as know the Germans never took Swiss army items into service, although many dealers try to have us believe this.

@Daniel,
                    Would be nice to see the other photos !

Bart

Comment

They had private swiss army knives... Seemed to be very common.

Comment

Hi predax,

Concerning privately purchased items they could well have had American or English items. My answer is regarding issued equipment.

Bart

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X