No announcement yet.

Photo lot - 1.Kav.Div./24.Pz.Div.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The roads resemble churned, partially-dried porridge and cause constant problems for the wheeled vehicles. Date and location unknown.
    [Edit: The car seems to be a Horch, possibly an 830.]

- - -
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jmark; 04-27-2007, 03:40 AM. Reason: Vehicle ID

Comment

Please bear with me... I'm just going to have some dinner and will be back soon to post the final three photos...

Jason

Comment

#15 - 11 October 1941
        Caption on rear: "Schlecht für Kraftfahrer" (Bad for the drivers). When the sun came out again, it dried all the mud into awkward ruts and ridges, forcing the wheeled vehicles into the fields on either side of the road... where they promptly got bogged!
        [Edit: The ambulance is a Phaenomen.]

- - -
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jmark; 04-27-2007, 03:42 AM. Reason: Vehicle ID

Comment

Then came the snow, which partially melted and again turned the roads to slush...

- - -
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jmark; 04-23-2007, 06:42 AM. Reason: Typo...

Comment

#17 - 13 November 1941
            Soldiers and a few "volunteer" civilians haul a truck along a snowy, muddy road.
            [Edit: The truck is a Renault AGR Beute.]

- - -
            Attached Files
            Last edited by jmark; 04-27-2007, 03:43 AM. Reason: Vehicle ID

Comment

And there you have it.. no panzers, no half-tracks, no artillery. Just an ordinary unit caught up in the morass of the Eastern Front. Not every album in your collection can be filled with spectacular photos of armoured vehicles!

All the best,
              Jason

Comment

Hi Jason,

Nice photos, thanks for sharing. I think the harshness of the weather conditions combined with the bitter fighting in the East is beyond our understanding. Images like these can only give a glimpse.

I'm sure our forum's vehicle fans (Bill, Mike, Larry, ...) can tell you a lot more about some of your photos!

Comment

The vehicle in the "mude" picture is actually a Krupp Kfz 69. Alan

Comment

Hi Jason,

Nice group and thanks for sharing!!!

They look similar to a photo album I have ....not sure which element of 1 Kav./24 Pz.Div. they belong but a mixture of vehicles on display.

I will get round to eventually copying them for you

/Ian
                    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Jason, great set of photos and I would be proud to have that grouping in my collection, even with out panzers, etc.
                      looks like you have a mix of impressed vehicles, opel blitz, adler, and even a US model, at least that is what I think the panel truck may be.

Mike

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments. Hopefully some experts in vehicle identification will happen upon this thread and put some names to the many trucks (by the way, thanks Alan for the ID of the Krupp Kfz 69).

Originally posted by R MICHAEL View Post
                        looks like you have a mix of impressed vehicles, opel blitz, adler, and even a US model, at least that is what I think the panel truck may be.
                        So Mike, do you think the panel van might be a US model? Any idea of model and make?

Originally posted by Ian Jewison View Post
                        They look similar to a photo album I have ....not sure which element of 1 Kav./24 Pz.Div. they belong but a mixture of vehicles on display.

I will get round to eventually copying them for you
                        Ian, I'd certainly be interested is seeing some of these photos from your album. I plan on adding more photos to this thread myself from some of my other albums. And no worries about the stuff you're going to copy for me... I know you're a busy man!

Originally posted by jmark View Post
                        And there you have it.. no panzers, no half-tracks, no artillery. Just an ordinary unit caught up in the morass of the Eastern Front. Not every album in your collection can be filled with spectacular photos of armoured vehicles!
                        Not every album can be filled with panzers and half-tracks... but I do have some! So, I will begin posting some of my other 1.Kav.Div./24.Pz.Div. photos here.

All the best,
                        Jason

Comment

OK, here we go.

These first three photos come from an album belonging to a soldier from an infantry division who happened to be stopped at the same "Haltepunkt" as the 24.Pz.Div. trains. Of course, the photos showing 24.Pz.Div. are why I bought the album!
                          First one shows Panzer III "915" loaded aboard a train with the rest of 9. Schwadron. To the left is a train carrying the Panzer IVs of 12. Schwadron. Location unknown, but it was taken during the division's transportation to the Soviet Union in mid-1942.

- - -
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here we have a nice shot of Panzer IV long-barrel "1232" from 12. Schwadron. The division only had 12 long-barrel Panzer IVs (a platoon of four in each Panzer IV Schwadron), so they're quite uncommon. The truck on the right is unusual... could it be British? [Edit: It is indeed British... a Morris CS8 Beute.]

- - -
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by jmark; 04-27-2007, 03:45 AM. Reason: Vehicle ID

Comment

The final shot of 24.Pz.Div. from this album is a broader view of the railway station / yard. In the centre are the trains carrying the panzers of 9. and 12. Schwadrons (both from III./Panzer-Regiment 24). On the right are some Sdkfz. 251/1 half-tracks of I./Pz.Gr.Rgt.26.

- - -
                              Attached Files

Comment

From another album, this time belonging to an artillery Leutnant from Art.Rgt.297 (297.Inf.Div.), I have a selection of photos showing 24. Panzer-Division. These two divisions worked closely together in August 1942 during the encirclement battle in the Don bend and the push towards Stalingrad from the south.

Original caption for this first one: "Unsere Panzer rollen an" (Our panzers roll on / forward). Photo taken during the Kesselschlacht near Kalach, 7-9 August 1942. Here we have a column of Panzer IV long-barrels.

- - -
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X