Photo lot - 1.Kav.Div./24.Pz.Div.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo lot - 1.Kav.Div./24.Pz.Div.

I thought I'd share some photos from a lot I just got in. I'm quite pleased because I placed a small bid and never expected to win them (they weren't on Ebay, which I guess is the key thing). All photos seem to belong to a soldier from 10. Schwadron of Reiter-Regiment 1 (later Panzergrenadier-Regiment 21 of 24. Panzer-Division). I'll post 17 photos. OK, here we go...

Nothing too special about this one except for the number plate [Edit: civilian number plate with "B" = Braunschweig region] and the unusual antler - or whatever it is - atop the organisational symbol (see enlargement top left). Any idea what this means?
    [Edit: Truck has been identified as a 1940 Ford 3 tonner with a Belgian or Dutch style cab.]

- - -
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jmark; 04-27-2007, 03:27 AM. Reason: Vehicle has been ID'ed

#2 - 1 June 1941
    Again, nothing too special, except for the fact that in this photo we can see that all the trucks and cars are of different makes... and they all belong to this one company. The repair and spares part situation couldn't have been easy as a result.
    [Edit: Truck in the centre has been identified as Citroen T23, while behind it to the right is a 1937 Ford Panel Truck.]

- - -
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jmark; 04-27-2007, 03:30 AM. Reason: Vehicles have been ID'ed

Comment

Hi Jason,
      I know I'm interrupting, but please continue

The license plate is #1 is civilian, and the B belongs to the region of Braunschweig.

Comment

#3 - 3 July 1941, Russia
        I don't know what type of vehicle this is [Edit: It's a 1937 Ford Panel Truck] but it seems like its being used as some some of workshop vehicle (see also photo #10). Above the windscreen is the letter "J", which stands for "Instandsetzung".

- - -
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jmark; 04-27-2007, 03:32 AM. Reason: Vehicle has been ID'ed

Comment

#4 - 3 July 1941, Russia (or should I say, Soviet Union)
          The local kids check out the newcomers.

- - -
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tim De Craene View Post
            Hi Jason,
            I know I'm interrupting, but please continue

The license plate is #1 is civilian, and the B belongs to the region of Braunschweig.
            Hi Tim,

No problem at all about the "interruption"! Thanks for clearing up the number plate issue. Is it unusual for a military vehicle (which already has the organisational symbol of 10. Schwadron painted on the fender) to still carry a civilian number plate?

Jason

Comment

Cavalrymen of Reiter-Regiment 1 approach a bridge still being constructed by pioneers. Date and location unknown, but definitely in the early stages of Barbarossa.

- - -
              Attached Files
              Last edited by jmark; 04-23-2007, 06:25 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo...

Comment

Landsers of the "Golden Waffenfarbe" assemble. The Gefreiter on the left appears to have a 50mm strapped to his back, while the Gefreiter/Unteroffizier candidate in the centre carries a German anti-tank over his shoulder. Date and location unknown.

- - -
                Attached Files

Comment

#7 - 19 July 1941
                  Mude! (Tired!). The crew of a Horch PKW [Edit: It's a Krupp Kfz 69] grab a nap while parked on the side of a road. Note the fascines and camouflage net. This photo was used in a photo history of Reiter-Regiment 1 / Panzergrenadier-Regiment 21. It seems the fellow to whom these photos originally belonged made contributions to the unit history in the 1970s.

- - -
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by jmark; 04-23-2007, 09:01 PM. Reason: Correct identification of the vehicle

Comment

#8 - 19 July 1941
                    An Opel Blitz (if I'm not mistaken) of 10. Schwadron. The men look filthy. Anyone know what this truck would have been used for?
                    [Edit: The truck is an Opel 3 ton S version.]

- - -
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by jmark; 04-27-2007, 03:34 AM. Reason: Vehicle has been ID'ed

Comment

#9 - 19 July 1941
                      Same location as the previous photo. What are they sitting on? Is it some sort of trailer, a compressor or a small howitzer?

- - -
                      Attached Files

Comment

#9 - 13 August 1941
                        Nice detailed shot into the rear of the repair truck, as seen in photo #3. Note how all the spare parts and tools are placed in numbered pigeon holes.

- - -
                        Attached Files

Comment

#11 - 11 October 1941
                          Heavy downpours flood the roads and usher in the dreaded "Rasputitsa". Our intrepid little workshop lorry - partially covered by a camouflage net - powers through a flooded section of road. The consequence of all this water was bottomless mud and almost insurmountable difficulties for the Germans, as we'll see in the following 4 photos (#12 through #15).

- - -
                          Attached Files

Comment

A truck of 10. Schwadron (again, it's a different make and model to all the others) is towed up a muddy incline. The crew have had to dismount to make it easier. Date and location unknown.
                            [Edit: The truck is a Renault AGR Beute.]

- - -
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by jmark; 04-27-2007, 03:36 AM. Reason: Vehicle has been ID'ed

Comment

The going gets more difficult and forces the vehicles to constantly stop. I particularly like this shot, mostly because of the vertical marks etched into the walls of the muddy rut by the tyres. It just appeals to me, for some reason. The horse-drawn carts on the right seem to be having an easier time of it.

- - -
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X