Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by suny View Post
      Hey Guys, I am working with the special motor vehicle 251 with hydraulic Drehlafette.Hat maybe someone imagery that? Unfortunately I have only found a few and needed a few more , as I reconstruct it as a model möchte.Ich thank apologize in advance and slopes some pictures turn , since it runs in the mutual exchange ;-) .
      Sry for the bad English is generated with Google Translate

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php...1454361333.jpg
      [IMG][/IMG]
      ah yes the famous (perhaps infamous) 3501 shot.

Well no new photos but a little info

3501 is supposedly a Coy commanders vech in belonging to the a Grossdeutshland unit.

There where 3 variants of the Sd Kfz 251/17

A) First with cut away sides
      B) Second (lufty) with fold down sides
      C) Third with a small turret.

Now for good old 3501. It is usually captioned as 'A field mod gun salvage from an downed aircraft'. Most likely because the gun is belt fed not magazine fed like the KwK38

However this is just a story as 3501 is not Not a 'Sd Kfz 251/17' at all but a 'Sd Kfz 251/21' that mounts not the 3 barrel MG151/15 but a single barrel 'MG151/20'

this is a good site that discusses these rather rare half-tracks

http://www.network54.com/Forum/57159...lished+details
      Last edited by byterock; 02-03-2016, 04:15 PM. Reason: correct typos

Comment

I have never seen any photographs of the first version that you mention "with cut away sides", just what is this ?
        As for the third version, I take it that you mean the schwebelafette ?

Comment

You can find a pick here

http://www.leadwarrior.com/Lw35114-h.htm

in this case the mesh screens are folded up

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
            You can find a pick here

http://www.leadwarrior.com/Lw35114-h.htm

in this case the mesh screens are folded up
            That is not an SdKfz 251, that is in fact the last version of the SdKfz 11 3 tonne tractor which was built in the second half of 1944 and is therefore nothing to do with versions of the SdKfz 251/17.

Comment

Beg to differ

beside the plain Jane SdKfs 11 there where 5 variations

11/1 Smoke generator/ammunition carrier
              11/2 chemical decontamination vehicle
              11/3 Spray decontamination
              11/4 Smoke generator
              11/5 Gas detector

At least according to Chamberlain and Doyle and the copy of the period Sonderkraftfahrzeug I have handy

No mention of a flak or semi-armored version of the 11 as that would be the 251

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
                Beg to differ

beside the plain Jane SdKfs 11 there where 5 variations

11/1 Smoke generator/ammunition carrier
                11/2 chemical decontamination vehicle
                11/3 Spray decontamination
                11/4 Smoke generator
                11/5 Gas detector

At least according to Chamberlain and Doyle and the copy of the period Sonderkraftfahrzeug I have handy

No mention of a flak or semi-armored version of the 11 as that would be the 251
                The sub-types that you have listed are indeed correct but I was referring to the body types of which there were three;

1 The classic built before the war

2 The reduced materials body with a new cab and engine cover and wooden cargo body as here,
                http://www.trucksplanet.com/photo/au...aftwagen_1.jpg

3 The semi armoured cab/engine cover with the fold down sides as in the original post on this thread.
                http://www.kfzderwehrmacht.de/Homepa..._38_-spg-.html

I'm sorry if you haven't come across these three bodies before but there you are, the fact remains that the vehicle which is the subject of this thread is the last production SdKfz 11 as in the last link I've included.
                Last edited by Alanmccoubrey; 02-07-2016, 04:06 PM.

Comment

nteresting Photo of Post-Battle Sd.Kfz.250 with Personal Observation

Newbie here throwing this photo into the mix for more knowledgeable people to comment.

My grandfather took this photo of what appears to be a Sd.Kfz. 250/3 at a farm outside Danzig in summer of 1946. There was fierce fighting 14 months earlier, as evidenced by the damaged half-track and German soldier’s body in the foreground:

While we can't see the front of the vehicle, the slant of the rear and the uniquely-shaped door identify it as a Sd.Kfz.250. The racks for fuel/water cans (likely salvaged by locals or the Soviet Army) are quite evident to the right of the door. Possibly an aerial (vertical whip antenna) bent over plus what looks like a canopy mount to the left of the racks suggest a /3 variation (Sd.Kfz. 250/3). Admittedly the "canopy mount" is not in the normal location so it might be something else.

Markings I11 on back indicate that it is the 11th vehicle of the 1st Battalion. Unfortunately the main divisional or regimental marking on the door is not clearly visible. The dark shield shape has rounded bottom. The marking on the shield looks like a palm tree similar to the AfrikaKorps but not quite the same. The tag and other markings on the left fender (blown upwards) above the track are too dark to make out.

The soldier's uniform is also too blurry to make out any detail. Presumably this dead German was associated with this half-track vehicle.

Grandpa's poignant observation is written on the back of the enlarged photo:

Their's Was Not The Glory
                  Fourteen months after the great battle for Danzig, the bones of this German trooper (along with many others) still remain unburied on the sands of this Polish battlefield.
                  Such remains as these, bleaching in the summer sun (close to the wreckage of a blasted half-track) bear mute evidence of the sheer futility of Hitler's dream of world conquest.

Original Shot Taken on a farm just outside Danzig, Poland.
                  Eastman Box Camera
                  Summer of 1946 by Ken Peisker

Grandfather Charles Kenneth Peisker served with the US navy in WWII but was not in combat.
                  Immediately after the war he traveled to Germany and Poland for a Wisconsin newspaper to report on recovery efforts in that region. He saw many things, including battlefields with damaged vehicles and unburied bodies. This particular shot is very compelling to me and I would appreciate any info folks on this forum could provide, especially solid ID of the half-track and German army unit.

Sorry for the indirect photo links; I am not a paid associate so don't have image posting privileges.
                  Last edited by jpeisker; 10-02-2016, 09:17 PM. Reason: Fixing name

Comment

Another possibly lost to a mine.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Being unloaded in Norway.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here is one of picture out of my collection.
                        You can see two SDKFZ 250/3 (?).

The picture was taken somewhere in Africa and the vehicles belonged to the Aufklärungs-Abteilung 33 (15. Panzerdivision).

One of them was unfortunately destroyed in November 1941 close to Sidi Rezegh.

Regards

Alex
                        Attached Files

Comment

my contribution with a photo two Sd.Kfz. 231 8 Rad of the Pz.Ausf.Abt. 115 during a funeral south of Cassino in january 1944
                          Attached Files

Comment

Glad you all are keeping this thread alive. I have slowed my German collecting down quite a bit but still pick up some every so often and when I do they are Recon stuff!

Comment

Hello all,
                              Still outside my comfort zone, but I hope these few photos are of interest on this thread.
                              The first,
                              Cheers,
                              Kerry.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Here is another, I do not think I have posted any before, but memory slips with age!
                                Kerry.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 22 users online. 0 members and 22 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X