No announcement yet.

Show Your Afrikakorps Photos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

considering approx 200,000 German troops served in North Africa, I guess that based on their appearances being fairly similiar you could say the odds were 1 in 25,000 that it is the same guy.

Comment

Just looking at this pic I can't prove that it was a shot from North Africa...but...someone prove that it wasn't.
      Attached Files

Comment

Same two guys on the left and right in tropical uniform. Proof that it was...considering they all came from a series of shots which I had in an album from North Africa.
        There are many tropical pics which are from North Africa which are quite obvious from there and many which would appear to be from someplace completely different.
        Lets not worry about trying to prove that a pic came from North Africa and just post some great pics.

Mark
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Mark Gibson; 10-09-2006, 06:47 AM.

Comment

...and here's one of my favourites

Mark
          Attached Files

Comment

one more won't hurt.
            Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Mark I would say that shot of the three panzer wrapper guys is either Crete, Italy or Greece.
                The use of black wraps and black trousers was very rare in Afrika. They were really only worn during the very initial arrival period around Tripoli 1941. They very quickly changed out of them due to the intense heat. The tree in the background certainly does not look like a Libyan tree. Possibly a Tunisian tree, but much more likely Italian.

Comment

Originally posted by milcollector View Post
                  Mark I would say that shot of the three panzer wrapper guys is either Crete, Italy or Greece.
                  The use of black wraps and black trousers was very rare in Afrika. They were really only worn during the very initial arrival period around Tripoli 1941. They very quickly changed out of them due to the intense heat. The tree in the background certainly does not look like a Libyan tree. Possibly a Tunisian tree, but much more likely Italian.
                  In context with the whole album the photo was taken in Tunisia. Many shots of the North African landscape, local arabs, etc. Most shots were of the soldiers in every day life. Interesting to see the same gents in the 2nd pic having just received their Italo/German medals which can be seen on their tropical tunics. The tropical tunics also do not have skulls pinned to the lapels, yet these are obviously the same soldiers in the first pic.

Mark

Comment

Giday Mark, very cool photo with the wraps , Although the wraps arn't 1st pattern wraps there is nothing to say they couldn't be 2nd model wraps with the collar piping ommitted which certainly could be earlier enough for afrika. Then again they could be 3rd pattern but I would think it unlikely for them to be reissued new woolen wraps in such a warm climate such as tunisia and more likely they have dug them out of the tank stowage bins for perhaps a cooler afternoon photograph. If only we knew!

Heres a pic that I have had for a while of an Dak nco, notice cufftital/goggles to cap and short tropical webbed boots

Greg
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
                      here are some Photos of a Leutnant at the 5 Leichte. They had the 4,7 cm Pak on Selbstfahrlafette.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Made in 3/41 before they go to Afrika.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The Selbstfahrlafette. Post War Photo. He became POW in 11/41.
                          Attached Files

Comment

In the Camp.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Some more pics to bring this back to the top.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I'm going to guess an Italian tank.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X