No announcement yet.

Help on some WSS Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, would you be able to post an enlargement of the soldier standing just behind 'Sly' in that 3rd picture? He's got an interesting hat and armband that I'd be curious to see...

Comment

Photos are from Italy

Two collectors from the International Militaria Forum identified the soldier in the photo as an Italian Fascist of the MVSN. So perhaps it could be LAH?

Comment

Enlargement

Originally posted by Historama
        Hi, would you be able to post an enlargement of the soldier standing just behind 'Sly' in that 3rd picture? He's got an interesting hat and armband that I'd be curious to see...
        Historama, I will have to rescan the picture to do the enlargement. I'll try to get it done tonight.

Comment

Enlarged Photo

Historama, here is the enlargement that you asked for.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting the image! I've spent some time trying to figure out what he is and the closest I can get is... Greek. The Greeks wore kepis similar to this one, and it does look like his insignia is a crown identical to the Greek one.

...of course, other than the odd 'uniform' there is a problem with the crown being worn and there being WSS men all around; the King sided with the allies.

The man may be in an auxiliary role: the 'uniform' looks more like a civilian dark coat, with a simple open collar shirt worn beneath and therefore the need to sport a brassard (i.e. "In dienst der Deutschen Wehrmacht" etc.), and perhaps the reason why his hat is out of date for the period.

But that's about as close as I can get it for now.

Comment

Some backround on the photos

Steve, I heard from the person who sold these pictures to the E-Bay seller, he says that the picures came from a group that showed Politzi unit markings and Lah markings on different vehicles. Plus we have the Italian facisiti. Where and when would one find all three together?

Comment

Originally posted by areilley
                Steve, I heard from the person who sold these pictures to the E-Bay seller, he says that the picures came from a group that showed Politzi unit markings and Lah markings on different vehicles. Plus we have the Italian facisiti. Where and when would one find all three together?
                This would confirm that the photos were taken in Istria in fall 1943.
                1.) Istria was from 1918-1945 part of Italy, so no problem for the facisti being there;
                2.) reinforced SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt.1 was in Istria (Bandenbekämpfung) in fall 1943,
                3.) as was II./SS-Pol.Rgt.19 - the only Ordnungspolizei unit in the sector at that time frame.

Marko

Comment

thanks

Hi Alan,

Great news, that sums it up then, I believe the Skoda photo is definitely LAH, going by the number plate range. Thanks for sorting it out!

Cheers
                  Steve

Comment

Any more photos in this group

Steve, I bought 4 of the pictures and obviously you got at least one. I know that I was out bid on one or two. If you have any more of the group would you be willing to post them? Thanks

Comment

Hi

Hi Alan

I only bought one of the images, the Skoda photo, sorry about that. Hopefully someone reading this may have the others?

Cheers
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by S Ballantyne View Post
                        Hi there,

Although not certain, I have seen some photos of Frey that have a similar 'rather large' right ear... but many other photos where it really doesn't quite look like him...

On the plus side, if it is in Istrien in October 1943, then it was Frey's 1st SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment that fought in this area, so at least we are in the right ball park.

I will send my photo for Alan to post, and as you can see, no 'Dietrich' emblem on the vehicles, which might have been because the unit's identity was camouflaged for this operation (called HJ Division), but other photos of operations in Istrien show LAH vehicles with the 'Dietrich' emblem.

Cheers
                        Steve
                        Hi, I just started a new tread on Albert Frey. I am looking for photos and personal information about this man. Can you help me?

Comment

New info on fotos

I know that it has been a long time since this thread has been active , but I have some new information. I have attached a foto from Charles Trang's LEIBSTANDARTE ARCHIVES published by Heimdal in 2008. The foto is from the same unit as my other fotos. It is identified as the LAH in Istria. The tatical unit designation is visable, motorized siginals. Parts of the LAH's Pz. Nachr. Abt. were part of Frey's reinforced Pz. Reg.
                          Attached Files

Comment

New info on fotos

Since I now know the unit I may be able to identify the 'Sly Stalone' looking officer. From the attached close up, his rank is that of a SS-HSF. The commander of the unit at that time was HSF Eugen Metz. Other HSF in the batillion at that time were HSF Ernst Hermanns and a HSF Petersen
                            Attached Files

Comment

New info on fotos

Over the past few years I managed to find two other fotos of 'Sly' in Istria. Perhaps someon can provide an identity?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Number 11 doesn't look like Sly Stallone, but he does look like a constipated Sean Penn-straining for perfection.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X