Help on some WSS Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on some WSS Photos

I just purchased four photos of WSS troops in Greece? Yugoslavia? anyway a rocky terain. I don't see runes on any of the troops. One officer wears a summer tunic, other troops are in a mixture of uniforms including camo. The only possible sources of info on these pictures that I can see is: can any one identify the non-german trooper in the one picture or if the licence plate on the car ( assuming that it is an SS plate). Thanks
    Here is the car:
    Attached Files

Help with photos

The non-german trooper
    Attached Files

Comment

Help with photos

I don't know if there is anything in this picture to help, but the one officer looks a little like Sly Stalone
      Attached Files

Comment

Licence Plate Number

Is there enough of the licence plate showing in the first picture to identify the unit? Assuming it is an SS licence plate? Thanks

Comment

Hello Alan If your number plate is SS - 50099 it would be SS - Totenkopf Division. (SS - 50001-70000). Hope this helps. Cheers Larry
          Last edited by Larrister; 04-09-2006, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Vehicle

Hi There,

The number on the vehicle (Skoda Superb 3000 WK) is SS-500996, as I bought a photo from this series where the plate is clear. As this type of vehicle was largely used by the Waffen SS, most of them had this SS-500XXX plate.

I believe it may belong to LSSAH, and the photos are taken in Northern Italy August/Sept 1943, or the Istrien area in anti-partisan duties, October/November 1943.

In your photo with the Skoda, is it possible to see a close up scan of the shoulder boards on the man second from the left or the officer in the centre? The tell-tale LAH cyphers may be visible.

The second photo may show a member of the Italian Badoglio forces, as I've seen in some photos of the LAH occupation of Northern Italy.

Cheers
            Steve

Comment

Try www.wwiidaybyday.com

Comment

In your photo with the Skoda, is it possible to see a close up scan of the shoulder boards on the man second from the left or the officer in the centre? The tell-tale LAH cyphers may be vis

Cheers
                Steve[/QUOTE]

Steve,here is the best close up that I could do, no cypher on the NCO, just a pip, I can't tell on the officer. I would love to see your pictures.
                Attached Files

Comment

I think Steve might be right, the houses in the background are typical karst country houses, you'll see in Istria.

Could you also zoom in on Sly Stalone? He kind of looks like Albert Frey.

And of course many thanks for posting these marvelous pictures.

All the best
                  Marko

Comment

He does resemble Frey, but yes- enlargement would be good. The other officer, same photo, looks a bit like Frey's fellow LSSAH RKT Paul Guhl.

~ Mike
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sly Stalone or Albert Frey?

Here is a close up
                      Attached Files

Comment

Guhl?

Paul Guhl?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting close-ups.

It's still difficult to say for sure but I believe that's not Frey.

Comment

The photos

Hi there,

Although not certain, I have seen some photos of Frey that have a similar 'rather large' right ear... but many other photos where it really doesn't quite look like him...

On the plus side, if it is in Istrien in October 1943, then it was Frey's 1st SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment that fought in this area, so at least we are in the right ball park.

I will send my photo for Alan to post, and as you can see, no 'Dietrich' emblem on the vehicles, which might have been because the unit's identity was camouflaged for this operation (called HJ Division), but other photos of operations in Istrien show LAH vehicles with the 'Dietrich' emblem.

Cheers
                            Steve

Comment

Steve's Photo

Here is Steve's photo from the same series
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X