Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photos of unknown Generals

Hello

I am trying to identify some Generals which are in one of my albums. This would help me identify the regiment the former album owner belonged to.

Photos cover time in France and Russia. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Larry
    Attached Files

Unknown.
    Attached Files

Comment

I think the officer at left is a General. Who is he?

What is the nationality of the two officers in the middle. Rumanians?
      What is their rank?
      Attached Files

Comment

Unknown gens

Hi Larry great photos
        no3 looks like Werner Kempf

Comment

Thanks. The General in the photo looks like he's wearing glasses. Did Kempf wear glasses?

The shape of the General's face is the same as Kempf's so it could be him.

Anyone else have any ideas about the ID of the Generals and the nationality and ranks of the two foreign officers?

I managed to find one clue in the album as to the identity of the unit. Here's a photo showing a symbol (on back of sidecar) either for 11 Inf. Div (blue) or 292 Inf. Div (red).
          Attached Files

Comment

Gen on the left of #3 looks somewhat like Hermann Foertsch.

Cheers
            Elwyn

Comment

Could the general on the left in photo #2 be General Pellengahr?

Cheers
              Øyvind

Comment

#1 could be GenLt Willy Seeger. Old enough to have spange on both EK I and EK II. Commander of 292 Div Sept 41 to Aug 42

Cheers
                Elwyn

Comment

The officer on the left of #2 had Pellengahr's features but he was not a general.

Other suggestions:

#1 Johannes Gittner, kmdr 292 div Jun to Oct 44. That was his way of wearing his medals before he won his DKiG in Jul 44.
                  #3 Gen on left could also be Wolfgang von Kluge, kmdr 292 div Oct42 before he was wounded in Jul 43

Cheers
                  Elwyn

Comment

First of all, thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming.

Elwyn: Your ID's of the Generals would tie in nicely with the photo showing the circular divisional symbol I posted above.

Cheers
                    Larry

Comment

The foreign officers were Bulgarians. I cannot find much on Bulgarians actually fighting in Russia though. So this could be the Balkans instead?

Cheers
                      Elwyn

Comment

Elwyn

Thanks for the ID. am I right in saying that the Bulgarian officer at right is a General? Do you know why High-ranking Bulgarian officers would be visiting a Heer unit?

Cheers
                        Larry

Comment

Hard to say. In Osprey's Axis Forces in Yugoslavia 1941 to 45, there was a black and white plate giving some basic Bugarian insignia. The officer in your pic certainly wore an officer's overcoat. But the collar patches (unfortunately he was all bundled up) and shoulder boards would have been the ones to tell the story. From Leutnant to Oberst, they wore a simlar litzen pattern as the wehrmacht. Generals wore more of a "Bavarian" style oak leaves. Perhaps the colored thread on his hat signified a senior officer. We need better Bulgarian uniform experts.

I couldn't find Bulgaria participating much in the Ostfront. They seemed to have allowed the Axis to cross Bulgaria to invade Yugoslavia and Greece and they contributed to a Yugoslavian Occupation Corp for antipartisan activities, replacing Germans that were needed to in Russia and Croatia. So this is a tough picture to crack.

Any other pictures in the album may tell a more complete story?

Cheers
                          Elwyn

Comment

Hello Elwyn

There aren't any more pics of Bulgarian troops in the album. The photos in the album look like they were taken in Russia but I suppose several countries in Eastern Europe had similar terrain.

I have an album on it's way to me in the mail and have a few scans of photos which belong to it. It's a coincidence but there are several photos in it that look like Bulgarian troops including a high-ranking officer.

Here's a couple of pics and a chart showing Bulgarian insignia for comparism.

Cheers
                            Larry
                            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X