Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hio Bill:

Just a side collectible note here.

My Dad was a Marine Officer 1935-1969, retiring as a Major General.

While he was not a collector as such, he kept all of the various Zippo lighters he either purchased, was given as gifts in the Marine Corps or by various foreign nations etc. As you are aware, in the non-politically correct 40s, 50s and 60s, smoking was something that was a socially acceptable tradition in the military and Zippo lighters were highly prized gifts.

A few years before he passed away, in 2004, he donated the majority of the lighters that had some sort of military motif on them to the the USMC Museum in Quantico, Va.

As best as I remember, he had Zippo lighters from about 20 different countries.

My youngest daughter inherited the rest of "his" collection which was assembled by my first Stepmother and consisted of a wide range of lighters from all over the world not of the Zippo brand. I should mention that my Dad was married three times before he died at the age of 91, the last time at the age of 88.

Marines do have stamina if nothing else.

Bill

Comment

Bill:

If I am not mistaken #374 sure looks like a young George Bush in a Panzer uni.
                      Stroodle

Comment

Bill M.

Very interesting and thank you for sharing that with me...us!!!. I quit smoking about 8 years ago...so my one and only Zippo is also in retirement. Thanks - Bill P
                        Originally posted by Bill Murray View Post
                        Hio Bill:

Just a side collectible note here.

My Dad was a Marine Officer 1935-1969, retiring as a Major General.

While he was not a collector as such, he kept all of the various Zippo lighters he either purchased, was given as gifts in the Marine Corps or by various foreign nations etc. As you are aware, in the non-politically correct 40s, 50s and 60s, smoking was something that was a socially acceptable tradition in the military and Zippo lighters were highly prized gifts.

A few years before he passed away, in 2004, he donated the majority of the lighters that had some sort of military motif on them to the the USMC Museum in Quantico, Va.

As best as I remember, he had Zippo lighters from about 20 different countries.

My youngest daughter inherited the rest of "his" collection which was assembled by my first Stepmother and consisted of a wide range of lighters from all over the world not of the Zippo brand. I should mention that my Dad was married three times before he died at the age of 91, the last time at the age of 88.

Marines do have stamina if nothing else.

Bill

Comment

Correct!!! It didn't take someone long to notice. Bill
                          Originally posted by Stroodle View Post
                          Bill:

If I am not mistaken #374 sure looks like a young George Bush in a Panzer uni.
                          Stroodle

Comment

Originally posted by W Petz View Post
                            Correct!!! It didn't take someone long to notice. Bill
                            I was thinking Lloyd Bridges! "Sea Hunt". Great photos, keep 'em coming!

Comment

Thanks Bill! If you ever need help in scanning your mountains of photos, please slide them my way and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

In the meantime, here are a couple more.

Swearing in ceremony.
                              Attached Files

Comment

A nicely decorated officer adjusting his watch.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 65 users online. 0 members and 65 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X