Recent Photos to share!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple more photos.

Another nice photo of Guderian. Seems he has some "free" time to have a little drink!
    Attached Files

Comment

GFM Albert Kesselring.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Mark Mac; 01-28-2006, 11:23 AM.

Comment

General Max Pfeffer commander 297 Infantry Division (Destroyed at Stalingrad).

Awarded the RK on 4-12-41. He surrendered at Stalingrad. Does anyone know his fate?
        Attached Files

Comment

Gefreiter Kisteller. DKiG in June 1941. KIA on 11 December 1941.
          Attached Files

Comment

Another Heer studio portrait. Does anyone recognize the device on his shoulderboard?
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mark!

Max Pfeffer died in Voikovo Camp as a Soviet POW in 1955.

Regards,

Comment

VJK:

The fate of the Stalingrad survivors is not my field of research, but I am curiuous to know if the ones that were imprisoned for so many years after the war were considered some kind of war criminals or the Russians just kept them as war "booty"?

I have read a very small amount about using ordinary German and other Axis prisoners as more or less slave laborers for quite a number of years after the end of the war but Max was a General, not an ordinary prisoner of war. I know nothing of him but perhaps he was considered some sort of "Bad Guy"?

Just wondering.
                Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Murray
                  VJK:

The fate of the Stalingrad survivors is not my field of research, but I am curiuous to know if the ones that were imprisoned for so many years after the war were considered some kind of war criminals or the Russians just kept them as war "booty"?

I have read a very small amount about using ordinary German and other Axis prisoners as more or less slave laborers for quite a number of years after the end of the war but Max was a General, not an ordinary prisoner of war. I know nothing of him but perhaps he was considered some sort of "Bad Guy"?

Just wondering.
                  Bill
                  It's simply hatred from Russians as well as fear to let them go because the German POW's really knew what kind a joke the "workers' paradise" was, let alone that they might talk about the inhuman treatment all these years and their use as slave workers. If you look at the ranks and units of the Heimkehrer as late as 1955 (the last levy) you'll see anything going from higher SS-officers to the smallest private in some forgotten regiment. So the decision to keep some prisoners to the last moment was not motivated by a specific terminology of bad guys vs good guys. It was just opportunism and fear of releasing them because they would obviously speak about what they had seen; the truth about the "Stalinparadies"'.
                  Also the death in 1955 seems suspicious at least. That's almost like "passing away in your sleep" the day before you are released from prison. General Weidling, wo defended Berlin in 1945, also "died in captivity". Same with von Kleist (†1954) and countless others. Model shot himself in 1945 to prevent from "dying in Russian captivity" no doubt.

On a brighter note: some very stunning finds, Mark Mac! I'm pleased to see these photo's in good hands.

Comment

Maikafer,

Thank you for the kind words. I truly enjoy being a custodian of History!

I would tend to agree with you on the prisoners. I think it was just plain revenge. I am also amazed at the number of old men, former commanders of infantry units and below that died much later in Soviet captivity.

I am a fan of Model. I know he shot himself rather than surrender to the Allies, and knowingly march off into a Soviet prison camp. He was a personal friend of von Paulus and obviously saw what became of him. Model would never have turned on his former comrades or allow himself to be a propaganda tool. He also believed that German Field Marshals NEVER surrender.

VJ, Thank you as well. You came through with a quick answer again!

Comment

Originally posted by Maikäfer
                      It's simply hatred from Russians as well as fear to let them go because the German POW's really knew what kind a joke the "workers' paradise" was, let alone that they might talk about the inhuman treatment all these years and their use as slave workers. If you look at the ranks and units of the Heimkehrer as late as 1955 (the last levy) you'll see anything going from higher SS-officers to the smallest private in some forgotten regiment. So the decision to keep some prisoners to the last moment was not motivated by a specific terminology of bad guys vs good guys. It was just opportunism and fear of releasing them because they would obviously speak about what they had seen; the truth about the "Stalinparadies"'.
                      Also the death in 1955 seems suspicious at least. That's almost like "passing away in your sleep" the day before you are released from prison. General Weidling, wo defended Berlin in 1945, also "died in captivity". Same with von Kleist (†1954) and countless others. Model shot himself in 1945 to prevent from "dying in Russian captivity" no doubt.

On a brighter note: some very stunning finds, Mark Mac! I'm pleased to see these photo's in good hands.
                      Thanks for the photos. Very imformative indeed.
                      Cheers
                      Last edited by TWP; 01-29-2006, 04:07 AM.

Comment

A few more tonight.

Still love the studio portraits!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Portrait showing an IAB!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Panzertruppen!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Luftwaffe NCO with EK1 and leather flight jacket.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Amazing photos i'm truly jealous

Pete
                                Go Green Go White

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 90 users online. 0 members and 90 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X