No announcement yet.

Oblt d. R. Otto Heinrich Thiessen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naxos, I think you hit it on the head with the ribbon in the photo. I contacted Sepp45 about the picture. He had talked to knowledgeable people on the subject of wartime RK holders. All felt that the RK list has been thoroughly examine and there is no evidence Otto Thiessen was awarded the medal. Makes one wonder what he did during the war and if he was even an officer. The paperwork could have been made up by the original seller back in 2004 to fool people to bid at a higher price. It would be sad though, if he had a ligament claim but for some reason the true paperwork was never officially filed in the archives.

Unless there is new evidence brought forward, as of now it appears he was not a recipient of the of the RK and wore it fraudulently.

The early 57 RK set with this grouping looks good, but in the near future I will be placing it on the 57 medal forum for comments.

Thanks all,
    Tony

Oh, one more thing. This was the number on the ID Disc that came with the grouping: INF. ERS. BTL. 209 2. KP. 286. Is there a list available that can tell me if this ID is even Thiessen or what unit he even served in?
    Last edited by Tony Mickelson; 05-07-2016, 10:50 AM. Reason: additional question

Comment

I looked up the 1987 awardees of the Grosse Verdienstkreuz des Bundesverdienstkreuzes.

I found a Otto Heinrich Thiesen (one "s") from Flensburg. It gives his occupation as Sozialreferent
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by naxos View Post
        I found a Otto Heinrich Thiesen (one "s") from Flensburg. It gives his occupation as Sozialreferent
        But still no Knights Cross holder with 'Thiesen'.

Comment

Originally posted by hucks216 View Post
          But still no Knights Cross holder with 'Thiesen'.
          Of course not

Comment

Originally posted by naxos View Post
            To me the studio photo is a clever deception.

He took his EKII and wrapped it in a way (see image) that it appeared like a knight's cross.

In this fashion it was possible to take the studio picture but the iron cross was not fixed to the uniform to wear otherwise.
            Well spotted Naxos!
            Jason

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X