Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for help in tracking down my German grandfather's military history

Hi there
    This is my first posting on this wonderful site eventhough I have been an observer fora period of time. I am requesting help in tracing my grandfather's military history. I know that he was an oberwachtmeister in a flakregiment. His name was Alfons Zimmermann and I think he was a member of the 5./Flakregiment 8 which was based in Munich . He was born on the 11 February 1915 in Todtmoosweg in the Schwarzwald in the province of Baden-Wurrtemberg. I do have his soldbuch but because of wear and tear and ancient german and my poor german it is very difficult to read. I also have electronic copies of some of his official papers ie awards , promotions , driver's licence and final discharge papers. I think he was finally discharged from the Luftwaffe by the US 45th Infantry Division on 24 June 1945.
    I suppose what I am asking is guidance , direction in putting his military history together. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I would like to attach some of the documentation I have but I am unsure how to do this on this forum.

Hi

It sounds like you have all that is needed to reconstruct his military career. There's plenty of people here who would only be too happy to help you with that.

I'll PM you my email address and i'll post the scans for you if you like.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Hi Simon
      Thanks for reply. I will email you copies of what I have digitally stored at the moment but the soldbuch still needs to be scanned. Thanks again for help. The researching of his military career is something I have wanted to do for a long time.

Comment

As Simon has mentioned looks like you have pretty much a sound base to find your grandfathers history from the documents you have.

If not already I would contact the Deutsches Dienststelle. They may have documents that you do not have and will send you copies seeing as you are a relative. There of course will be an administrative fee for this.

http://www.dd-wast.javabase.de/

/Ian
        Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Here's some of the documents.

From his driving licence he looks to have signed up as a career soldier, the cord on his shoulder strap marks him out as an NCO aspirant.

I./Flak Rgt.5 was formed in Oct. 35 in Munich, so Alfons was an early member of the luftwaffe.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Simon O.; 01-21-2012, 04:46 AM.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

His promotion to Wachtmeister (sergeant). His career path will be easier to trace once we see the soldbuch.

The wound badge is interesting and an early one for a flak soldier, with a bit of luck it should be able to find out more information behind his wounding.
            Attached Files

Comment

KVKII award. Flak Rgt.8 had it's home depot within Luftgau XVII. I wonder if his wound made him unfit for duty with a frontline unit?

Also, his discharge certificate at the end of the war, i can't make out what it says about distinguishing marks or disability??
              Attached Files

Comment

Distinguising marks I can only make out as scars (Narben) at the moment, however disability with description is duodenal ulcer (Ulcus duodeni)

/Ian

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

The distinguising marks could be "Narben li.(nken) Unterarm" - scars left forearm

Gerdan

Comment

Nevertheless he was capable for working 85 % - certified 24.6.1945

Gerdan

Comment

Perhaps the Soldbuch will give us a better clue as to his injury.

/Ian

Comment

If he was posted away from I./flak Rgt.8 due to his wound in 1940 then he was fortunate in the long run. The abteilung was destroyed later at Stalingrad.

Comment

Alfons Zimmermann soldbuch

Here are a couple of pages from my grandfather's soldbuch. I am hoping these will be fine . Thanks to all members helping work through this paperwork. I look forward to further comments.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Alfons Zimmermann soldbuch part two

Here are further pages. Thanks again for support.
                            Attached Files

Comment

That helps a a lot, thanks, could you also show his awards page?

So he ended up as an Oberfeldwebel. A standard career progression throughout it seems, roughly equivilant to a sergeant major.
                              The lanyard you can see him wearing in the photo is a marksmanship lanyard.

After his wounding in France, shrapnel in the arm, he was transferred to the staff of a flak school for the rest of the war as an instructor.

You'll find a little info on both here
                              http://www.ww2.dk/ground/schule/fas.htm

I mentioned his old unit being destroyed at Stalingrad.

http://www.ww2.dk/ground/flak/flargt8.html

The last two hospital entries refer to his illness mentioned in his discharge papers

21-Stomach and intestinal sickness
                              22-Other digestive complaints
                              Last edited by Simon O.; 01-23-2012, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X