Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

Larry
    : Thank you for the detailed nature of your information.

The presence of the letter S in the end of the word General was resolved by a member of the forum, here is his message :

"The title is Oberst, Kommandeur der Stabstruppen des Komm. Generals ...
    If you have a des, then the General is definitely spelled correct with an S at the end. Nothing wrong here".

Thank you Paul

By making researches, I found an interesting information in the Mr. Klaus D Patzwall's book "Das Bandenkampfabzeichen" on 2003. On the page 40 and 41 of this work is presented a Bandenkampftage's list of a member of the same unit that that of the diploma, is Lw. Jg. Btl. z.b.V
    . 8. This list presents 22 days of fights against the partisans between March 15, 1944 and November 20, 1944. The article clarifies that the holder of this list was decorated with the Bandenkampfabzeichen Bronze on December 19, 1944.

Cordial greetings.

Polux

Comment

Okay Pollux, good, things are starting to fall into place, then. Are you satisfied that the signature is MEHNERT?

Comment

Hello Larry,

For the moment, I am going to satisfy with Mehnert. Thank you for your researches. I am going to try to contact the holder of the list of the Bandenkampftage. He has maybe other documents which could be useful for me. For me this research is almost closed. Still thank you to have taken of your time for me.

Cordial greetings.

Polux

Comment

Larry

Just a thought, how much material remains from the Kom.Gen. Italien\luftflotte 2 from mid\late '44? Just wondering if Mehnert's name could be picked up that way.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon orchard View Post
            Larry
            Just a thought, how much material remains from the Kom.Gen. Italien\luftflotte 2 from mid\late '44? Just wondering if Mehnert's name could be picked up that way.
            Hi Simon - I only ran into one thin microfilmed folder covering that time frame, but it was very sparse in names. On the other hand, I have always suspected that a lot of documents must have survived because the German forces in North Italy surrendered 10 days before Wehrmacht forces elsewhere did. I would think their negotiated, voluntary capitulation would have included the preservation of records and handing over of same to the Allies. Yet, I have never encountered them anywhere or even seen them mentioned.

Comment

Hello to all,

After more than 2 years, I finally found the answer to my question. There are some days, I was able to buy a small group of document for an officer of the Lw Jg Btl zbV 8. In this group was a diploma EK 2 with the same signature and the same stamp that the document presented in 2008. See enclosed image.

Polux
              Attached Files

Comment

Among the documents of this officer was also an administrative document established in 1960 for a particular decoration (Bandenkampf) . On this demand the name of the Oberst is : Mehnert.

The result of this history is : a good collector must be..... patient

Cordial greetings.

Polux
                Attached Files

Comment

I am very glad that we could narrow the correct name.

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Larry deZeng View Post
                    MEHNERT, Karl. (DKG). 1938 Obstlt., appt Kdr. I./KG 355 (to 30.04.39), then Kdr. I./KG 53 (to 10.05.40). 20.07.40 Obstlt., appt Kdr. Navigationschule Strausberg and Kdt. Fl.H. Strausberg (to 20.08.41). 01.09.41 promo to Oberst. 16.10.41 appt Kommodore KG 2 (to 31.12.41). 01.42 appt Kommodore KG 40 (to 07.42). 10.10.42 Oberst (Tr.O.), trf from Ob.d.L./RLM pool to Flieger-Rgt. 42. 29.03.43 appt provisional Kdr. Jäger-Rgt. 20 (L)/10. Lw.-Feld-Div. 01.01.45 Oberst, awarded the DKG as Kdr. of a Lw.-Jäger-Rgt. 25.03.45 Obstlt. (f.n. not given and rank incorrect), appt Kdr. Fsch.Jg.Rgt. 24 (to 05.45).

Since information concerning his career and assignments during 1944-45 is unknown or at least very murky, then he could very well be the one. The 10. Lw.-Felddivision was disbanded on the Leningrad Front on 12 February 1944, so Oberst Mehnert could have been sent to Italy anytime after that date. He seems to have made a career for himself as a field soldier, so fighting partisans in North Italy would have been consistent with his experience.

--Larry
                    I agree with this comment ...
                    I found this topic thanks to the help Gerdan (I had read Menhart instead Menhert!!)-
                    Here another Luftwaffe certificate vs "banden" signed by the oberst Karl MEHNERT.

ciao Oriano

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=988692

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X