Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glider ball hinge

Hello,

@ Frank: i have never had a problem when someone called my name in a friendly and sincere discussion. So feel free in the future to name me directly.

=> the ball hinge: I do not like the ball hinge simply by the looks of that badge, i do not follow the idea of that because a similar ball hinge was used on some badges (as for example the one shown by robert) that it means that other badges with that hinge are almost authomaticly originally produced before 8 may 1945.

=> it is up towards each individual to make up his mind on what he believes to be a real one or not. I would also like to find a new original type of glider pilots badge under the sun, however that quest will probably cost the most of us a lot of money for something that will not stand the time. Stay open minded is always needed in this hobby (as sometimes unexpected things do pop up for sure).

Besides badge characteristics and the fact that no bad dealer is offering them (mind you that even knowledgable dealers do make mistakes), why is there never anyone who does answer questions on howmuch where awarded etc ... (with documented proof behind it) ???

Is it so normal that badges would have been produced in a much larger quantity iff a certain badge was not even awarded anymore, so there was no more need to award it? (that does econmicly make no sense at all iff youa sk me, certainly not in a economy where every bit of metal etc ... was needed at a certain point to produce armour, etc ..) . The glider badge is a qualification badge, not something that you could earn on a battlefield. (that is very large difference)

So once the possibility to earn these had stopped (training capacity stopped at the end of september 1944) there was NO reason to produce them any further. It is stated quite often that there could have been a demand by persons who had lost the badge. Sure that is possible and true in afew cases. But when we place against this anotehr question : what was the surviving rate of a glider pilot during the war ? not that much => i can assure you. So iff the demand was already minimized why would the German armed forces once again allow to produce glider badges when tehre was no need anymore?

Probably a few off you do find that questioning of when and how badge where awarded, etc ... and the research of who earned these qualification badges rather irrelevant, well then that i think it is a missed opportunity. As it is the key to learn about these badges, in this very case: the glider pilots badge.

In the end it is you as a collector who needs to be happy with a certain piece. Iff you are then all is fine.

Thank you for reading + cordial greetings,
    my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

Hi Stijn,

You make it sound as if these ball hinge badges are readily available all the time. They are quite rare, at least as rare as the BSW and Juncker badges.

I do not know how many glider pilots you have exactly met, but I guess it cannot be much more than a handful. Lets say 10 to go over the top. Why should that be representative in an absolute way?

I however agree with you totally when you say that if one wants to buy a glider badge that is 100% proven to be real, it has to be the Juncker and the BSW.

My comment about the dealers was misunderstood. What I wanted to say is that there are several "dealers," especially in Germany (people who go to shows here know who they are), who carry about 98% high end fakes in their offerings. These guys have the WHOLE variety of Third Reich badges available, also some gilder badge fakes. But never this ballhinge badge.

But I won******180;t fight about this, everybody may have his opinions. I just wanted to give my observations.
      Cheers, Frank

Comment

glider badge

Hello Frank,

No intention either to fight, just a healthy discussion.

As for anyone who is interested in knowning howmuch glider pilots i have met then i can give you the following number:

Visited glider pilots (last 10 years):

78 persons (that is as far as i can proove = approx. 5 % of persons who could have earned that badge).

Howmany of these still did hold there originally awarded badge?

53 to be exact.

All these had the already named types of badges (some in good, other in rather bad condition, etc ...)

I do not know either what is taken as representative but i guess that those numbers are not so unrepresentative either. (so as you can see, there where a bit more then 10 persons)

Personally i also must agree with Skip that condemning a badge directly is in dangerous, we must stay open minded but with skepsis for certain.

Cordial greetings,

Comment

Hi Stijn,

78 persons (that is as far as i can proove = approx. 5 % of persons who could have earned that badge).
          I agree, that is far more than I had imagined, but it still leaves enough room open for another badge type. 5% is not enough to make sure conclusions. It could also be that the ballhinge ones were private purchase only and never awarded, but I am just speculating.
          Cheers, Frank

Comment

I own one of these Glider badges and base my beliefs on what I have seen first-hand. These are completely original pieces that photos do not do justice to.
            WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Here is one I once had:
              Attached Files
              Cheers, Frank

Comment

rev
                Attached Files
                Cheers, Frank

Comment

Attached Files
                  Cheers, Frank

Comment

Attached Files
                    Cheers, Frank

Comment

Attached Files
                      Cheers, Frank

Comment

Attached Files
                        Cheers, Frank

Comment

Attached Files
                          Cheers, Frank

Comment

As you may observe in some of these pics, the wreath has a Tombak coating in between the zinc base and the silver plating.
                            Cheers, Frank

Comment

A convincing set of photos indeed. Nothing there that screams fake at you, much more lots of things I look for on originals.

Why did******180;nt they get those damm rivets right though?

Skip
                              LOOKING FOR ALL ITEMS CONNECTED TO HERBERT SCHOB.

Comment

ball hinge glider

Hello,

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">
                                78 persons (that is as far as i can proove = approx. 5 % of persons who could have earned that badge). </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I agree, that is far more than I had imagined, but it still leaves enough room open for another badge type. 5% is not enough to make sure conclusions.

Those are indeed a nice number, the 78 persons where the ones that where and are still alive. I can add a few more that have been encountered as a second hand source (with that i do mean the children of the glider pilots or a collector who had obtained the legacy directly from the veteran).

It indeed leaves room for another badge, on that i fully agree (for example the large eagle).

Also a nice set of pictures. Now it is up towards the believers to make me also a believer. I can be quite easely convinced i think. I have found out already that in clear period pictures (for example) one can easely detirmin iff it is a Juncker or a BSW product. The eagle on the ball hinge is so distinctive that it would also be easey to recognize that one when found on a clear picture. So search us that picture and show it.

Cordial greetings,

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X